Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am

Thank you to Michael for getting me back in with a password that I cannot forget.

In the time I was off here little things have happened.

Tommy is my kissy bird who asks for kisses. Jackie watched him and came up with her own idea on kisses. When I go to kiss her she turns sideways then does runs on me to get me to kiss her side. Andy is the male that she chased until he caught her. He is getting really close while following her.

Of all things, Flutter my wild child, has been watching and coming as close as four inches from my face.

Phoenix now lets me touch his beak. It started by me pushing food to him on the food tray.

It is strange that Louise who was hatched here was the most afraid and would fly away if I got near her. She now sits still so I can talk to her.

I have wood on the top of their cage so they can play on top of cage and not poop on the ones inside. The top of the cage is even with my face so they are not afraid there.

Rainbow had been spending all day under his stool in the kitchen but is loosing interest. He now only goes to the step stool and couple times a day. He found a cardboard box that I was going to throw away and claimed it. Now he is on the buffet beside his cage.
Yesterday morning when I went to the kitchen, Rainbow was on my counter top and by the looks of his poop trail he had been there a while. His cage is about 4 feet from the counter. He must have flown there. He has been practicing his flying short distances. He jumps off the top of his cage (I have wood there too) and flaps for all he is worth before landing on the floor.

Myrtle is still a brat. She grabbed my finger as she flew by and tore some skin off it. I don't think she meant to but she was flying fast when she did it. She has been playing with a cardboard box that I gave her on top of the buffet. It is the first time she has shown interest in a box. With the box she is mostly staying out of trouble.

All the birds have started going to perch at 7pm. We are 90 degrees outside but they know it is fall. I have been feeding them at 5pm so they do get enough time to eat before going to perch. They have all been sleeping until 8am. Everything in my house is still napping between 2 and 4pm.

I think that brings me up to date.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 am

Yes, the days are a bit shorter up North but the schedule you mention is pretty much the same as in my house. But, although my zons still chew cardboard, they haven't been going into boxes... they've been molting.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 am

I bought everything you told me except the thistle from FosterSmith. I also bought 15 pounds of premium seed called Premium Blend with omega 3 fatty acid. I did a long post listing the ingredients but lost the post.
Do not hesitate to tell me when I am doing something wrong or need to do something more. I welcome constructive critisizem.

Thank you so much for your years of help.

I have a box up high for Myrtle. She chews it and throws the chips on the floor.

Rainbow started his corner box by hiding under a step stool and pulling cardboard under it. He is not nesting. He lets me clean the chips out when they get to be too much and even has a favorite toy under there. She has always loved cardboard boxes. She even likes to squeeze into little cages.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:48 am

I don't know how much you paid for the 'premium seed' but, if you buy stuff in Amazon, see if you can get ABBA 1600 C. It's a very good and relatively inexpensive cockatiel mix [it's what I use as 'base' seed mix for all my large birds, only I add nuts to it for them].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 am

I will try to find it. My son is on Amazon. I am sure the wild birds would love the 15 pounds of seed that I bought.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 am

No, use it! I am sure it's good seed. Just see if you can get the ABBA one when you are ready to order more.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am

Rachel went shopping yesterday and picked up two more 3D from Walmart. I am now loaded with seed. I will share it with the Amazons to use it up. I now have 4 jars of 3D and 15 pounds that I got from FosterSmith. That means 35 pounds of food. I save the jars of 3D to put other dry food in so I won't get pantry moths.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 am

Liz, I don't know around you but, up here, Walmart doesn't have a single good bird food mix. And, for what I have seen, 3 D is really not a good blend, it has all kinds of crap in it like raw split peas.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 am

I have had them on 3D all this time. Like I said, the wild birds will love it. I will give them the FosterSmith blend until I find the other.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 am

GREAT!!! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care