Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Instagram

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Instagram

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Often, I do come across clueless parrot owners who don't have their birds on a solar schedule/clip/don't give sufficient toys and then wonder why their bird is hormonal and bites, or there are parrot owners who don't give enough toys to the parrot, etc - things that people are usually ignorant of regarding parrot care, however, the bird is clearly loved so it can be a moment to educate others.

What is most distressful is when I have come across accounts that show an abused parrot. This has happened only twice, but today one man commented on one photo
to check out his parrot's account, an African Grey which recently escaped and flew away. I did, and what I saw was disturbing: the poor bird was basically being tortured and treated cruelly. I left several comments and spoke my mind about this behavior and reported the account, as others did who commented on his page, but apparently Instagram doesn't understand what constitutes abuse of a parrot and the account has not been shut down.

What can we do to create more awareness about animal abuse, specifically treatment of parrots, on social media?

Moving forward, I'm going to create more posts for awareness and to do what I can to push back on Instagram.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Instagram

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:54 am

I don't think there is anything left to do... I mean, all the right info is out there - it's just that people are not interested in accessing it, and, you know the saying: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Instagram

Postby madhossion » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience on Instagram, especially regarding parrot care and the distressing accounts you've come across. It's disheartening to see animals being mistreated, and I admire your efforts to raise awareness and speak out against it.
madhossion
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care