Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, my female zons are beginning to spend some time inside the boxes now.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 am

I ran out of pistachios so I gave my Zons an unsalted cashews. Rainbow made yummy noises the whole time she was eating.

Rainbow is doing more "out" time. (out of her cage) She still spends some hours each day with her step stool boxes. She is spending so much time just walking around and searching things that I have to shuffle my feet when I walk. She has been standing at the bathroom door and talking to me under the door while I am in there.

The weather has been so nice in the 80s. I opened the window in the cockatiel room. They are spending a lot of time in the window and call to the birds outside.

I put some soda can boxes in the cockatiel room but non have been claimed yet. There is no mating going on yet.

I still have them on a 9am to 5pm lighting schedule. I need to adjust it. Our sunlight is from 7am to 7pm now.

Tommy gives me kisses when I go in the room. He loves kisses.
Jackie is still doing body slams.
Flutter has been coming to the side of the cage and doing kissy noises.
Jackie has been blocking Andy from coming near me or he would be doing the kisses too.

There are many other things going on that I don't remember right now. Maybe I will later.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm

I checked the sunrise sunset calendar for Florida and sunset is at around 6 pm, Liz - so, as you need two hours of twilight, you should still be turning off the lights at around 5:30 pm and not later than that because the solar schedule does not work if they don't get enough exposure to enough time of twilight... I turn off the lights at 4 or 4:15 pm because the longer the twilight, the better it is for their endocrine system.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:46 am

ok

My automatic light comes on at nine and off again at 4.
Last edited by liz on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:34 am

I have made platforms out side the small the cage doors. Tommy stand there when he wants kisses. He was there yesterday when Flutter tried to get close to him trying to give me kisses. Maybe the kisses will be today.

Flutter bird has come a long way from being a brat to wanting contact.

I opened their window and they are trying to talk to the outside birds. They love the breezes that come in.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:54 am

This seems off topic but I need prayer to make me stronger. Aunt B has been in the hospital for about a week now. They are sending her home with Hospice. I need prayer to help me take care of her and not short the attention that I give my Birdy Babies.

Aunt B thinks Hospice is like Home Health Care. She thinks they are going to do things like give her a bed bath so she won't have to walk to the shower. She is happy that she does not have to get out of bed and that I will serve her meals there. She is oblivious to what Hospice means.

Also please pray for her painless passing. She is the fifth one that I have cared for that will die in my home. (Grandmothers, mother and uncle). My uncle went out in terrible pain but the women died beautifuly.

Thank you all so much for being my friends. I really have no one else to talk to.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 am

Oh, my goodness, Liz! I am soooo very sorry! It's terrible when one has to care for somebody you KNOW it's not going to last but, going by what I know about your and your huge heart, I KNOW she has had a happy life with you and that she will be very well taken care of in her last days. And the fact that she doesn't know she is dying is wonderful, actually... Please do not hesitate to reach out to me via email or here if you need somebody to talk to. I know what it is to not have somebody to talk to and I am always here so just holler if you need a 'remote' shoulder to cry on.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 am

Thank you.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am

Some one told her that she was being sent home to die. Aunt B changed her mind. She is now in a nursing home being treated for excess fluid in her body. Finally talked to the doctor. He said she was fine except for the fluid. When they get rid of it then they will operate on the heart.

She likes being in a nursing home. She gets service more than at home. The only thing she misses is her cats.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:32 am

If she is happy there, then it's the best situation. Personally, I could not stay anywhere where they don't allow animals or plants. I had to stay 10 days in the hospital once (I had a systemic infection that they couldn't identify) and I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown with no animals and no plants around me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care