Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Mon May 20, 2019 4:59 am

Aunt B has a new room mate. She came in after surgery and is not expected to live. She is in her 90s. They had been dropping her tray off and leaving her. When I commented I was told that she is dying and does not want to eat. Not true. She just does not have the motor skill to feed herself.
They put her tray within reach the other day and she was trying to drink her pears. I fed them to her and she would open her mouth when ready for the next bite.
I complained for her that she was hungry. They brought her pureed food but did not feed her. I did and notified the nurse that she needed fed.
I could go on and on about this but the thread is for my birdies.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am

Sheesh! That's terrible! Poor old lady... all alone and slowly starving to death in a place that gets paid to take care of her!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 am

Since I believe sharing a meal is a special thing, I buy a tray and spend time with Aunt B on an every day basis. I have been feeding this old lady at least one meal a day. She is still starving but has the comfort of food at least one meal a day. She opens her eyes when she hears my voice so I know she is trapped in a dying body. I can only do what I am doing for her. It is a real shame.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am

Is there a way you can contact her family? I don't think the staff will give you their information but maybe she can tell you or maybe you can write a letter and leave it somewhere they would see it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed May 22, 2019 4:02 am

Her family believes what they are being told. She has a sister in this home who visits but she does not respond to the sister. I don't know what she is dying of. If it is cancer then it is common practice to let them go. I have cared for my mom and my uncle while they were dying of cancer. They were not hungry but would open their mouths when I told them what food I had. The flavor of the food is comforting to them even when they have no other contact.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 22, 2019 8:49 am

Personally, Liz, I would mention to the sister that it might be better if she visits her at meal time so she can feed her because she cannot do it herself any longer and the aides don't do it, either.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 am

They were right. I prolonged her life by 2 days. They only good thing that I did was let this old woman know that I cared about her.

I have been in the Citrus Memorial Hospital for the last 4 days. I had a tooth pulled on Thursday and they put me to sleep though they did not tell me they were going to. I now have a blockage. It is a terrible thing to have tubes up my nose and not allowed coffee.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 am

They had to intubate you just to pull a tooth out?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 am

No. the dentist used a drug on me that sent me to the hospital. I have been here a week now with tubes up my nose and down my throut. She did not tell me she was going to use anything different. The tooth would have been easy to pull with just a little novacane. I should sue for pain and suffering.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 am

Sheesh! YES, you should sue! That's malpractice! My dentist makes me read and sign ten million forms each and every time they do anything in my mouth and explains in detail in advance.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care