Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

question on parrots nare

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

question on parrots nare

Postby Yasoso1 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:37 pm

Hello everyone I'm relatively new at owning a parrot and things can be really paranoid as a newbie. I live in California and right now the weather is really dry. I anticipated my parrot having dry skin sometimes so I mist him with a bottle when he looks like he needs to but today I noticed that I suppose when he was rubbing his beak on something the skin that is at the beginning of his nare kinda ripped and lifted. he is not bleeding and not complaining but is it normal or should I take him to the vet?? or is there something I can apply to moisturize his nare?
Yasoso1
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Mitred conure
Flight: No

Re: question on parrots nare

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:22 am

You need to have a humidifier in the room where he is kept. Dry air is real bad for parrots... I really don't know of anything you can put on the nares to keep them moist and if the wound is tiny and it doesn't bother him, you are better off leaving it alone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care