Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Parrot flew away. What should I do?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

My Parrot flew away. What should I do?

Postby thepaintedgrin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 am

Hello, sorry for this being my first post but I'm a little desperate.

This morning Loki, my young senegal slipped out a window. I only realized this about an hour later because he'd gone very quiet all of a sudden. I immediately went outside when I realized thid, but it's raining and I've been looking for almost five hours but I can't find hide nor hair of him. His one wing is clipped, (this is only because the breeder from which I got him clip the wings before you can pick it up,) and he's only about five or six months old.

I put his cage outside in the hopes it will lure him in, I have looked around the bushes, the trench (thankfully not filled with water) and all around the trees. We live on a small farm holding and there a LOT of bushes he can hide in. My parents have helped, my brother had helped and even the miad but we can't find him.

Is there anything more I can do? I don't want to lose him and if he is still out there I am terrified he will die of exposure or starvation, I can't bare the thought of it. Can anyone tell me of anything more I can do? I really appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)
thepaintedgrin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Budgie, Cockatail
Flight: No

Re: My Parrot flew away. What should I do?

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am

get in touch with rescues they will post pictures of your missing bird. if you get your bird back your going to have to even out the wings one wing clipped is worse than both. good luck i hope you find him. if you have to buy from a breeder you should not be forced to allow wing clipping before you bring your bird home. i would have refused to buy from that breeder. when i adopted mya i requested she not be clipped even with the fear they might not allow the adoption i can't go against my belief birds are meant to have full flight. if people would refuse to buy birds that are clipped it would change the breeders policy they do want their money.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby thepaintedgrin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 am

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Unfortunately we live in a very small town, and on the outskirts at that. The closest bird or animal rescue is about 100 kilomterest away. But I will ask around the farmholding in the area should they see him, at least they can let me know :)
thepaintedgrin
Parakeet

Postby marie83 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am

I heard stories of parrots coming home months after an escape but those stories were from people who put in alot of effort to get the word out.

-contact john hayward from parrots magazine, he has an international lost and found register.
http://www.parrotmag.com/component/even ... /?choose=2
-Contact 911 parrot alert http://www.911parrotalert.com/ Im pretty sure these guys are international too
- put up posters everywhere you can, give them to family and friends so they can put them up as they are travelling around.
-contact all rescues, sancturies, police stations, vets, pet shops and other shops in the area and ask them to tell everyone they can
-offer a reward, you dont have to say how much if you can only afford a small amount.
-remember birds can fly miles
-ask everyone you see in the street (as long as it doesn't compromise your safety), word of mouth will go a long way to helping
- ask newsagents if they are willing to put a leaflet in with their newspaper deliveries
-get the story on the radio or in the newspapers if you can, bear in mind they get alot of missing pet stories every day so this might be hard to do, think if there is something unique about the situation you can use to increase the chance of being published.
-put adverts in the newspapers/websites that have a section for advertisement.

Lastly dont ever give up on getting your bird back.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 am

I lost Kili the other day in the big gym where I fly her. I sent Truman and Kili flying and got fixated on Truman that Kili just disappeared and didn't come back to me. She quietly landed some place and I couldn't see where. My brother and I walked around looking up into the basketball hoops (where she sometimes likes to land), up in the rafters, on chairs, and any other place I could think of her going. I was starting to freak out when 10 minutes went by and I couldn't see her, couldn't hear her, and couldn't call her. Finally I spotted her on the floor motionless, just sitting there all content with herself. She had eaten a lot, was tired, and just didn't want to fly any more. Anyway, point of the story is that these little birds really blend in with their surroundings and stay quiet so it is important to go through the entire area around your window and house with a fine tooth comb. Check the ground, check every bush, check every branch. More than likely your bird is still there but just blending in. Get as many other sets of eyes as possible.

When you do get your bird back, read this and take all of these precautions to ensure this never happens again. Never think that clipped wings will stop a parrot from flying away.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby marie83 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 am

Michael wrote:I lost Kili the other day in the big gym where I fly her. I sent Truman and Kili flying and got fixated on Truman that Kili just disappeared and didn't come back to me. She quietly landed some place and I couldn't see where. My brother and I walked around looking up into the basketball hoops (where she sometimes likes to land), up in the rafters, on chairs, and any other place I could think of her going. I was starting to freak out when 10 minutes went by and I couldn't see her, couldn't hear her, and couldn't call her. Finally I spotted her on the floor motionless, just sitting there all content with herself. She had eaten a lot, was tired, and just didn't want to fly any more. Anyway, point of the story is that these little birds really blend in with their surroundings and stay quiet so it is important to go through the entire area around your window and house with a fine tooth comb. Check the ground, check every bush, check every branch. More than likely your bird is still there but just blending in. Get as many other sets of eyes as possible.

When you do get your bird back, read this and take all of these precautions to ensure this never happens again. Never think that clipped wings will stop a parrot from flying away.

Actually this reminds me, I once thought I had lost Ollie, he was sat on my knee quietly preening and then sleeping. I forgot he was there as i was busy with assignments, got up into the kitchen and when I came back in I thought "Ollies quiet, I wonder what he is doing" Anyway i couldn't see him in all his usual spots so I called him- no answer, I looked on the floor, behind the sofa, tv, under my jumper that was on the sofa on the curtain rail, picture frames etc but there was no sign. I went back into the kitchen but he wasn't there either, I even checked in the flipping fridge.... By this point I was panicking, I knew he hadn't got out because all the doors and windows were shut, I looked in and behind everything, calling him all the while. Eventually i could hear him quietly chirping in response to my calls but I still couldn't find him...

....anyway I was at the point where I was thinking I was having some sort of mental breakdown and this whole situation was some sort of dreamlike state (I've had very realistic disassociations in the past) when I found him. He was on the metal support bar, underneath the actual table I was sitting at whilst doing my assignments.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 am

the rescues will post pictures on facebook then everyone shares them. if someone does find your bird they could take it to a shelter or have a rescue come pick him up, you'd be surprised how far a rescue will go to pickup a bird. it's the fastest way to get the word out so if he's found he can be returned to you.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby thepaintedgrin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:37 am

We found him! :D :D :mrgreen: :D

Sweetest three words of my life.

A couple of farm workers went to our maids house this morning to show off a bird they'd picked up. Mary. our maid, recognized him immediately and told them he belonged to me. The three farm workers brought the bird back to me about ten minutes ago! We gave them something for their trouble and I don't think I've ever been this happy.

He's wet, a little worse for wear and a little grumpy :roll: but he looks okay. I'm giving him some honied water, and I've put him in a sunny spot with some fruit and a lot of dood. Hopefully he'll feel better soon.

I would just like to thank everyone for all your advice and help. It had been a gruelling day and I have never felt this exhausted in my life. But support is an amazing thing, I think people underestimate what an encouraging word can do for the soul.

So again thank you a million times over!
thepaintedgrin
Parakeet

Postby marie83 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:55 am

Im so glad you got him back :D
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby friend2parrots » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 pm

YAY! YAY! YAY! :)

SOOOOOO happy that you found your little birdie! :senegal:
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Next