Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tips for Cat/Parrot households?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Tips for Cat/Parrot households?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm

We have 3 cats and new green-cheek conure. One of the cats has successfully lived with birds before, the other two are novices. So far, the experienced cat has marked the cage stand and watched the bird a little, then proceeds to ignore him. One of the others seems puzzled and cautious, but shows no inclination to bother the cage and the third is terrified of the bird! The bird seems unconcerned, at least when in the cage.

For now, anyway, we close the door to the room where the cage is housed whenever we aren't home. It's a pretty secure cage up on a stand, 18"x30"x25" with fine bars...it has a playstand on top that is detachable but sits up there when the bird is inside. I don't think the cats could reach into the cage or knock it over... how much would you worry? What's your cat/bird routine?
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Tips for Cat/Parrot households?

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Cats are natural predators and pet birds make a tasty snack or at least a fine play toy.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Natacha » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 pm

My cat is not aloud in the room where the bird cages are; my cages are heavy-duty and sturdy enough that she could never tip them over, but I don't believe in tempting her to climb over them and try go get her paw through the bottom space.

She's also in a separate room when the birds are with us in the living room.

I just don't believe in tempting fate.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby SirHubi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Well I have parrot and cat in the same household too! I got some tips you probably know already, but I decided to post them anyway :) .
1: In the room it is either bird, or cat. Don't hold two animals in the same room, because bird will panick and this wuld increase cat's aggression towards the bird.
2: Cage needs to be in safe place, so that cat will not tip it over. Put your cage on a safe piece of furniture, or get a sturdy, stable cage stand.
3: If cat tries to attack the bird in the cage you might want to seperate cat and cage, so that neither of them gets scared.
4: Love your parrot and cat equally, do not neglect neither of them, as cats are predators and one of most frequent food of wild cat are mouses and birds

I hope these tips can help you! :D :airmail:
:senegal: - Cookie
SirHubi
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Senegal Parrot)

Postby shannie79 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm

I have 8 cats a very small dog and my stewie. Stewie has a very large cage on wheels I can push around the house. When we are home stewie is in his cage wherever we are. (unless its his out time) but when we are not home stewie is in his cage in a cat free room, as well as at night he is in our bedroom next to the bed. Stewie loves the cats and dog. I do not let them interact when he is out of his cage, but when he is in the room with everyone he will call the cats and dog over to his cage and blow them kisses, and say i love you. if they get to close or put a paw on his cage he will try to bite them. if the dog gets to rambuncous stewie will scream "knock it off!!" (which he tells himself after his lengthy bouts of "calling" in the morning and at night. ) it's an unfortunate phrase he learned from my husband, and the only thing I can say to that is; if you have a parrot before a spouse make sure your potential spouse loves the parrot the same if not more than you or else the parrots vocabulary might increase with things you dont want to hear.
shannie79
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks, guys! LOL Shannie!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo