Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone have a rescue as trustworthy as first hand parrot?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Anyone have a rescue as trustworthy as first hand parrot?

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:57 am

Has anyone had a rescue parrot that they developed a trust/relationship on par with a first-hand, raised from baby parrot? How did you do it?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Anyone have a rescue as trustworthy as first hand parrot?

Postby Natacha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

It is possible to have a rescue as trustworthy as a first hand parrot; only difference is that it might take a bit more time.

Take Petey. This bird has been through a number of homes. However, she is really well attached to my boyfriend. She does trust him a lot and he does trust her as well. Now Petey and me is a different story, but she is slowly starting to turn around. Just needs patience.

Zuri was also a rescue. January 31st marked our one year anniversary together. While the level of trust between the two of us isn't quite at the same level as what I have with Piper and Shade, it's well on it's way to getting there. These last few months were particularly good progress wise. I'm sure with another couple of months our relationship will be even greater.

Key..take baby steps. Don't go faster than the bird wants to. Once it starts trusting you, things will go faster, just try to not to anything to screw that up and having to start back at square one (like trying to move onwards too fast). One word...patience.

When they do come around..it's the greatest feeling ever :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Dax my Meyers is 13 years old and she is the sweetest bird you'll ever meet. Anybody can handle her. Nicholas the Red Belly took more time. He was hesitant and has bitten my husband several times but he has warmed up and he loves me now. I think it would be the same or very similar relationship as if I'd gotten him as a baby. It just took more time and patience than a baby bird would require. (he's 7 btw) In many ways I think a rehomed bird is better because you can see what their personality is, especially if you can see them interact with their original owners. With a baby, you never know what you'll get. Also, for anybody who wants a talking bird, a rehome or older bird who already talks is the only way to guarantee a talker.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 pm

pchela wrote:Dax my Meyers is 13 years old and she is the sweetest bird you'll ever meet. Anybody can handle her. Nicholas the Red Belly took more time. He was hesitant and has bitten my husband several times but he has warmed up and he loves me now. I think it would be the same or very similar relationship as if I'd gotten him as a baby. It just took more time and patience than a baby bird would require. (he's 7 btw) In many ways I think a rehomed bird is better because you can see what their personality is, especially if you can see them interact with their original owners. With a baby, you never know what you'll get. Also, for anybody who wants a talking bird, a rehome or older bird who already talks is the only way to guarantee a talker.

Bingo! Our Sennie was billed to be a one-person bird, but he/she has warmed up to so many different people over relatively short periods of time it's shocked me. It's all a matter of getting to know the bird and, as others have said, being patient and earning their trust. We've all got our quirks, and it's wonderful how rescues allow you to see theirs before making any sort of commitment.
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Return to General Parrot Care