Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Your bird and your computer, are they compatible?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Your bird and your computer, are they compatible?

Postby sophisity » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Scooter seems to be hilarious. :senegal: I love my parrot too and i agree with Micheal about how parrot perceive toys. D'art (my nick for him) now feels like he owns my mouse and has a tendency to pop off the keys off my keyboard :lol:
I now have a small cage for him to be next to me while I work on my homework during the day with a small play pen on top. I think you had a good idea about taking breaks to play with him/her but like Micheal says play with parrot toys and don't touch any of your stuff while she/he's out. I hope this helps a little. :thumbsup:
sincerely,
Elaine
sophisity
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker parrot
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Most of my birds couldn't care less about the computer.
Joey is the only one who really wants to get at it, and most of the time, he wants the keys from the keyboard.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby SirHubi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:20 pm

My parrot likes computer in a good way. When I work it plays with stuff on desk, but when I play on Xbox my parrot loves it. Cookie sits on my shoulder and watches how i play and talks to TV. However Cookie enjoys watching The Simpsons most ! Cookie really want keys from my phone though ;)
:senegal: - Cookie
SirHubi
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Senegal Parrot)

I'd like to post some pictures/video of this with my parakee

Postby alight15 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 pm

when we're close enough :cockatiel:

Ahem 8-) ...well I've actually mentioned it before but I have had budgies who just patiently watched tv with me when i was younger.

My sister has one she keeps on her on and off pretty much from when she gets home to bed time
which includes the computer and sofa.

Technically it doesnt just stay in one place but it's used to shoulders(this may not work with bigger birds) and prefers sitting on them alot.
When my sis is on the sofa, it gets itself lost under a blanket she puts on or climbs around(this is a clipped budgie,and there's a huge thick decorative towel like cloth cover drapped on the sofa).

When shes on the computer it watches,chases after a writting pencil,or chirps; but mostly it sits on wires or a small (headphone set)wire pearch made for it between the tables legs,or plays with the large quantity of lip gloss,nailpolish,books,pens,markers on the surronding drawers.

So they can play on the computer..they just need some...clutter around there :thumbsup:
and once again..pets reflect their owners so when someone's laid back, pets ingeneral (though hyper) will get used to these times of relaxation(and this isnt a trained budgie,no one can grab or make it go anywhere without a fight and some bad memories;we stopped trying). I can only imagine this is the case with every fictional pirate who has an inseperable parrot on his dirty shoulder pad/hook.
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars

Postby issy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Yep, Sheldon loves the computer :D

But then he thinks the mouse and keyboard are his and try's to pull out the buttons. But then when I try and play with his stuff he thinks I'm stealing. :lol:
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:32 am

Along these lines, our :senegal: loves all technology and mostly things that appear shiny and flashy in general (laptop, firewire cable, optical mouse etc). He won't play with mirror toys, however (breakable). Any ideas on how to distract him with something shiny-looking yet bigger-bird safe?
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby LeeBee » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:55 am

As I look down at my laptop keyboard, I can safely say that with all the keys missing, chewed up and played with, Pepper and my laptop are not the best of friends! :lol:
LeeBee
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Fischer's Lovebird

Postby Brighid » Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm

I had to laugh while reading your post--I run into the same issue all the time with my birds!

Are they compatible? Really depends of whose P.O.V. we're talking about! My birds love my laptop. They find it heaven to sit on a warm monitor or better yet, on the keyboard itself where it keeps their butts warm and they have a constant source of amusement while facing the screen!

Mine especially love prying the keys off, and chewing on the cords for the power source and the cooling base. I lost my first MacBook to my cockatiel's fascination with it.

I am happy to report that with a few defensive measures, we can all use the computer without incident. First, get your self a 'skin' for your keyboard. Mine is made by iSkin, but there are other models out there for both PC's and Mac's. This will prevent them from harming the keys, or getting dander or other debris inside the keyboard. Also makes cleaning 'gifts' much easier. Also, there are protective tubes made for wiring of all sorts. Although they were originally designed for construction, they come in various sizes and will snap over any exposed wiring you have.

Hope this helps. :cockatiel:
Brighid
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Albino cockatiel, green-cheeked parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue May 18, 2010 7:29 pm

your bird does not know he is not supposed to have it he is a bird and taht is that if he sees a toy he likes he will take it the best thing to do is reward and praise him for beinga good boy on your hand and when he starts to chew just ignore him and place him on his perch and wait ten seconds with no acknowledgement of him even existign haha anyway put him back on your hand and reward you might say stay and if he tries to get down and chew again you can event ry to distract him if he is just wonderinga round maybe but if you font even want him to wander than just repeat (btw the womachs told this to me when skeeter destroyed my moms mouse and i had to pay for it. it wasnt cheao either :roll: birds :lol:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Titanius » Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Not to push the topic off too much but I didn't want to start a whole new one when my question was remotely along these lines. Considering sometimes you don't let your parrot around your computer but let them on your shoulder how long do you allow him or her to stay there , granted they dont start biting you or screeching? Jasper loves being on my shoulder... Yesterday he kinda jumped on my shoulder from his cage and went straight to my shoulder. (It was a big moment for me)
Titanius
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care