Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where can I find general parrot help, aside from here?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Where can I find general parrot help, aside from here?

Postby chiddler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Kathleen wrote:Working with a bird using positive reinforcement techniques only encourages the behavior you want. You can never completely eliminate behavior by punishing this bird. Instead, it will just become afraid of you. I have no idea what "traumatizing" entails but that is a strong word and so I can only use my imagination.

You can't just "have" it behave properly so your father doesn't get mad. You can control some of the things the bird wants and reward the bird in exchange for doing what you want it to do, and I think with a little patience the situation might improve. But you can't control this bird.

I know this. My dad knows this. The only difference is that he doesn't believe it. This is essentially why it is so difficult. Unlike my brother and I, he's so pretentious and close-minded when it comes to this matter.

My dad did buy the bird himself.

I was hoping to find someone to dialogue with so my dad can learn from what is said. I don't think (relatively) anonymous internet forums will be very convincing, though I do really appreciate the overwhelming willingness to help.
chiddler
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: It has a red head and some yellow....i don't know.
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I guess you could try going to a bird store or breeder and asking if they know any bird owners who have nothing better to do. For instance there's this guy who hangs out at the bird store I go to most of the time. I thought he worked there but it just turned out that he likes birds and has nothing better to do. That kind of person could probably take the time to talk to you and work things through in person.

Over the internet this is the best you're going to get. You either have to do your own research and ask questions, find someone to help you out, otherwise I don't know anything else you can do.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm

chiddler wrote:I was hoping to find someone to dialogue with so my dad can learn from what is said. I don't think (relatively) anonymous internet forums will be very convincing

Talking to an avian vet may help. The bird should see an avian vet annually for a well bird exam anyway, you can find more information on those here.

Hearing about some of the basics in person from a certified avian vet may be what he needs to really take things to heart. Many vets are too busy to go into any great detail, but they might be able to give some basic information or recommend another source of information.

I really hope things work out for your father and the bird. Good luck!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Suzzique » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Try checking around and see if there is a parrot club in your area or even a parrot rescue. Both would be good ways for your dad to learn more face to face from others. I know the rescue in my area gives classes a few times a month on different subjects. If you are in a major city you can even try looking in the back of bird talk magazine. They often have listings for the clubs or bird stores ect. But as far as the net the others are right forums are about as good as it gets. Sometimes though don't count on it an avien vet in the area might have that kind of info as well.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby purringparrot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:06 pm

you should direct your dad to aprrot forums like this one and hopefully that will open his eyes a bit. As others have said he needs to use positive reinforcemant and not fear tactics towards the bird. Since this is a new bird and new relationship he needs to start off on a good foot otherwise the bird will not trust him and the fear the bird is showing could be misunderstood as it being stubborn or mean. There are a lot of books out there with outdated information so be careful about the ones you get. I think the best place to get info is forums, because it is the most updated.
purringparrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey, uncape parrot, bare-eyed cockatoo, bg macaw, gw macaw

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care