Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Apartments and PTFE

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Apartments and PTFE

Postby miajag » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

I don't live in an apartment myself, but I've been curious about this for a while - to what degree should bird owners who live in apartments be worried about their neighbors using teflon or other non-stick cookware? Back when I was in school and living in an apartment I would often smell my neighbors' cooking, so I would assume it's possible for fumes from outside to get in. Are there any precautions one could take against this? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "unexplained" bird deaths in apartments (or condos, townhouses, etc.) were because of this.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Re: Apartments and PTFE

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:10 pm

If a smell can travel, the fumes can travel. So there is presumably some risk. An exhaust fan put in the room where the bird is might help. My MIL had her amazon for many, many years in a small apartment in a very crowded area. He did ultimately die suddenly, but she was in failing health at the time and we suspected someone taking care of her might have done or used something they shouldn't have. I think she was there with him for 20 years or something like that.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Great! I'm in an apartment. Now I'm all worried and stuff! :?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:17 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:If a smell can travel, the fumes can travel. So there is presumably some risk. An exhaust fan put in the room where the bird is might help.

No no. An exhaust fan would create a low pressure area and suck the fumes toward the bird. It's better to place an exhaust fan away from the bird to suck the bird air away rather than toward.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Assuming you are worried about fumes coming in the window you put an exhaust fan in the window so air flows to the bird room from the apartment, rather than in through the window. More buffer.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 pm

I doubt a window would be the culprit though. Once fumes get outside, they'd get diluted very quickly. I was thinking through halls and doorways would be the riskier place. The door opening would basically act as a venturi and suck the fumes right into an apartment under the right circumstances.
Michael
Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Maybe that's the difference between LA apartments and New York apartments! All the places I rented here were open-air designs with shared walls but no enclosed hallway. However, your next door neighbor's kitchen window might be just across the alley or courtyard from your bedroom.

I think the bottom line is use good sense in evaluating where bad stuff might come from, and if you use a fan, use it to push bad air away more or less.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Oh ok. Maybe we were just thinking of apartments in different ways. Point is, suck clean air in toward the bird and divert/blow bad air away from the bird. Be weary not only of drafts but also where your bird's air is coming from. This is a good topic though and people should keep it in mind.
Michael
Macaw

Return to General Parrot Care