Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Solar schedule question

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Solar schedule question

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Try corn on the cob, baked sweet potatoes, pumpkins/squashes, celery and grape tomatoes (both need to be organic), those are my Codee's favorite veggies. And, yes, it does look as if they only shred the greens but that's OK, they all do the same thing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

I try to go with all organic for the bird, but I have a daughter at Yale, so sometimes I try to save a bit of money. With things that are thin skinned (apples, tomatoes, some politicians) I use only organic. Sometimes I think I'm wasting my money on organic bananas.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby cml » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Navre wrote:I try to go with all organic for the bird, but I have a daughter at Yale, so sometimes I try to save a bit of money. With things that are thin skinned (apples, tomatoes, some politicians) I use only organic. Sometimes I think I'm wasting my money on organic bananas.

You are not wasting your money on organic bananas! Even touching non-organic bananas skin transfers dangerous amount of toxin to you, which is permeatable through your skin. And that's not even considering the poor souls who work in non-organic banana plantations that die, or their children that are often born with many defects and/or missing limbs. Try looking up the documentary movie "bananas!*" or google it :(.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm

After 20 years on the fire department, I'm pretty sure I am 70% toxin myself.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby cml » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:21 pm

;) In sure youre right. You know better than me then about the chemicals and toxins in different kinds of foam used to fight fires. I just hope they find better alternatives as extinguisher foam at air ports and fire department practice has led to heavily polluted lakes where I live.
I understand that we need to use the best we have in a sharp situation, but for practice it should be banned!

Not at all trying to start an argument here, I just really feel for our environment. Organic food is great for both you and your bird. Pesticides are nasty stuff.
cml
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

I'll be honest with you, I don't feed EVERYTHING organic. The stuff that needs to be organic (dirtiest list) is always organic and most of the greens are, too, but, unless the price is very similar, I buy regular on the stuff that doesn't. I spend a huge amount of money on produce because of the large number of birds I have so I try to cut costs a bit here and there as long as it doesn't hurt the birds. For example, blueberries NEED to be organic and I use 2 containers of them for a daily serving so that means about $12 spent only on the fruit, not counting the veggie, the green, the seeds or the gloop!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cml » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Pajarita wrote:I'll be honest with you, I don't feed EVERYTHING organic. The stuff that needs to be organic (dirtiest list) is always organic and most of the greens are, too, but, unless the price is very similar, I buy regular on the stuff that doesn't. I spend a huge amount of money on produce because of the large number of birds I have so I try to cut costs a bit here and there as long as it doesn't hurt the birds. For example, blueberries NEED to be organic and I use 2 containers of them for a daily serving so that means about $12 spent only on the fruit, not counting the veggie, the green, the seeds or the gloop!

I understand, and as long as you are aware of what you are feeding and what you can skip being organic (and I think you've done your research) then with that many birds it makes sense :). For my two though, I can afford all organic ;) (and for myself, wife and coming baby).
cml
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Oh, how wonderful, a baby! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I have eleven grand-children and I still pester my nieces and nephews for grandnephews and grandnieces because I think they are all waiting too long :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Firefighting foam used to be protien based. It smelled terrible but I think it was mostly broken down animal skins.

The stuff they use now is AAAF (aqueous film forming foam), or FFFP (film forming floroprotien foam). I don't think its that hazardous, but it's detergent based, so it would mess with water systems.

They usually use it for training after it expires. It's actually fairly tricky to use, both to proportion correctly, and get pumps to mix it (just a bit too much incoming pressure and none of the concentrate gets picked up). I don't think we ever payed any attention to where it went when we used it for training. Into the storm drains and into the ocean, most likely.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:06 am

Is there a problem with a tropical bird getting only 8 hours of sleep? It seems like it would never happen in their natural habitat. Right now my bird wakes up before 5, and is up until almost 9. Were she with my son in Estonia, she'd be up from 4am until 11pm right now.

I know I am probably anthropomorphizing too much, but the best way I can describe my bird's behavior that past week is to compare her to a toddler who has not had enough sleep.

Obviously, solar schedule can't work everywhere. How long a day is max? How much sleep as a minimum?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care