Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Perroquet » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 pm

I have three conures and they get nippy when they get jealous or when they are tired. I have to be carefull to recognize it to prevent a bite, but they do get me from time to time. I do give them lots of attention, and they flock together too, To the person who says they arent nippy, you dont know what you are talking about on this topic.
Perroquet
Parrotlet
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 23
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 am

seagoatdeb wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I did not even know you have had GCCs, how many have you had?


I have been on this forum long enough you should already know. All parrots are nippy, and if you own one you are likely to get bit. GGC are nippy. All the sites say Pois are nippy, but in my experience GGC are much more nippy than Pois.


I don't remember you ever mentioning having multiple GCCs at any time... You always talk about having lots of parrots in the past but I only remember you talking about cockatiels and a rescue Senegal. Please, refresh my memory if it's at fault and tell us about your GCCs, number, gender, age, if acquired as babies or rescues, what happened to them, etc. Because personal experience makes all the different in the world, if you ask me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 13326
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:38 am

Perroquet wrote:I have three conures and they get nippy when they get jealous or when they are tired. I have to be carefull to recognize it to prevent a bite, but they do get me from time to time. I do give them lots of attention, and they flock together too, To the person who says they arent nippy, you dont know what you are talking about on this topic.


Well, I am the person who says that they are not naturally nippy and I am going by my own personal experience (four of them, two males and two females) so although I don't claim all the experience in the world, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. Mine were all adults when they came to me and they had all been given up because of aggression (two of them also for constant screaming and one for attacking other birds, as well) but they all stopped screaming and became sweet-tempered (which they still are to this day) when given the right conditions (and it was pretty fast, too, with the exception of a male that had been either severely neglected or abused that took longer) and that, added to the fact that several people who had nipping GCCs were able to make them stop when they also kept them at the conditions they require to be happy is what makes me believe that, like all parrots, if your husbandry is what they need, they will not be aggressive.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 13326
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Pajarita wrote:
seagoatdeb wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I did not even know you have had GCCs, how many have you had?


I have been on this forum long enough you should already know. All parrots are nippy, and if you own one you are likely to get bit. GGC are nippy. All the sites say Pois are nippy, but in my experience GGC are much more nippy than Pois.


I don't remember you ever mentioning having multiple GCCs at any time... You always talk about having lots of parrots in the past but I only remember you talking about cockatiels and a rescue Senegal. Please, refresh my memory if it's at fault and tell us about your GCCs, number, gender, age, if acquired as babies or rescues, what happened to them, etc. Because personal experience makes all the different in the world, if you ask me.


i am no longer responding to your demands for information, it that simple, I do not want anymore of your debates.
User avatar
seagoatdeb
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 1250
Location: Kelowna, BC Canada
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Perroquet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Perroquet wrote:I have three conures and they get nippy when they get jealous or when they are tired. I have to be carefull to recognize it to prevent a bite, but they do get me from time to time. I do give them lots of attention, and they flock together too, To the person who says they arent nippy, you dont know what you are talking about on this topic.


Well, I am the person who says that they are not naturally nippy and I am going by my own personal experience (four of them, two males and two females) so although I don't claim all the experience in the world, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. Mine were all adults when they came to me and they had all been given up because of aggression (two of them also for constant screaming and one for attacking other birds, as well) but they all stopped screaming and became sweet-tempered (which they still are to this day) when given the right conditions (and it was pretty fast, too, with the exception of a male that had been either severely neglected or abused that took longer) and that, added to the fact that several people who had nipping GCCs were able to make them stop when they also kept them at the conditions they require to be happy is what makes me believe that, like all parrots, if your husbandry is what they need, they will not be aggressive.


I am sorry but you have 30 parrots, that is a hoarder in my eyes. How can you take them all to a vet every year? I see in this forum that you have illness from hoarding. This is terrible. All my parrots came from hoarding and I know that hoarders do not have realistic view due to the illness and can not see they hoard. My husbandry is just fine. It is yours, I fear has to be inadequate. What happens to your parrots when you die?
Perroquet
Parrotlet
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 23
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:26 am

Oh, my dear, you say you have no experience with birdsites but I am afraid you are not going to do well in them if you make accusations based on assumptions this way...

No, I am not a hoarder and no, I do not have 30 parrots. I have 15 parrots: 2 LSC, 4 zons (2 bonded pairs), 2 grays, 2 senegals (still in the process of bonding), 1 sun conure, 1 redbelly, 1 GCC bonded to a PFC, and a lovebird that came a few weeks ago and which will get a mate as soon as I get it DNAd and find one to adopt or rescue of the opposite gender (I always try to get them a mate). All of them are rescues, rehomes and a couple were adoptions, they all get personal attention and the ones that live in cages (some don't) get usually 6 to 7 hours of out-of-cage and none is clipped (with the exception of the peachfront which has only half a wing so I clip the other one because he also has neurological damage that impairs his sense of balance). They all eat an organic fresh food diet with a large range of produce, they are kept at a strict solar schedule with good quality full spectrum light for during the day to keep their endocrine system in good working order and they ALL get medical care (and you can ask my husband the kind of budget we have for the birds and he will gladly tell you how large it is because he complains about it all the time :D ). And not a single one of my birds bites or screams and, although I have a couple of pluckers, they are both getting better (and you can see the pictures). Thanks to my next door neighbor (an old lady called the Witch by all the other neighbors) I've had both Animal Control as well as the SPCA inspect my house and both were very impressed with what they saw (this was because the police told her not to call them about the noise anymore so she called them). Wolf, this forum moderator, has also been to my house and seen my birds and he can attest to the fact that my birds are well taken care of.

You might not know this (I did rescue full time for 6 years and I am an animal right activist so I am pretty up to date on these things) but hoarding is not a matter of the number of animals (if it was all the rescues would be considered hoarding), it's a matter of the care they receive, something that cannot be really assessed correctly without doing an inspection. Now, you are obviously not used to birdsite protocol but accusing somebody of hoarding is a VERY serious matter so I suggest that, in the future, you are more careful with what you write - especially if you go to another forum because, although we are very tolerant in this forum, you will find that a posting like the one you did will get you banned in all other birdsites as they all prohibit personal attacks. I am not mad at you or even offended, mind you!, I don't mind explaining myself but you won't find the same tolerance anywhere else...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 13326
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Perroquet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Pajarita wrote:Oh, my dear, you say you have no experience with birdsites but I am afraid you are not going to do well in them if you make accusations based on assumptions this way...

No, I am not a hoarder and no, I do not have 30 parrots. I have 15 parrots: 2 LSC, 4 zons (2 bonded pairs), 2 grays, 2 senegals (still in the process of bonding), 1 sun conure, 1 redbelly, 1 GCC bonded to a PFC, and a lovebird that came a few weeks ago and which will get a mate as soon as I get it DNAd and find one to adopt or rescue of the opposite gender (I always try to get them a mate). All of them are rescues, rehomes and a couple were adoptions, they all get personal attention and the ones that live in cages (some don't) get usually 6 to 7 hours of out-of-cage and none is clipped (with the exception of the peachfront which has only half a wing so I clip the other one because he also has neurological damage that impairs his sense of balance). They all eat an organic fresh food diet with a large range of produce, they are kept at a strict solar schedule with good quality full spectrum light for during the day to keep their endocrine system in good working order and they ALL get medical care (and you can ask my husband the kind of budget we have for the birds and he will gladly tell you how large it is because he complains about it all the time :D ). And not a single one of my birds bites or screams and, although I have a couple of pluckers, they are both getting better (and you can see the pictures). Thanks to my next door neighbor (an old lady called the Witch by all the other neighbors) I've had both Animal Control as well as the SPCA inspect my house and both were very impressed with what they saw (this was because the police told her not to call them about the noise anymore so she called them). Wolf, this forum moderator, has also been to my house and seen my birds and he can attest to the fact that my birds are well taken care of.

You might not know this (I did rescue full time for 6 years and I am an animal right activist so I am pretty up to date on these things) but hoarding is not a matter of the number of animals (if it was all the rescues would be considered hoarding), it's a matter of the care they receive, something that cannot be really assessed correctly without doing an inspection. Now, you are obviously not used to birdsite protocol but accusing somebody of hoarding is a VERY serious matter so I suggest that, in the future, you are more careful with what you write - especially if you go to another forum because, although we are very tolerant in this forum, you will find that a posting like the one you did will get you banned in all other birdsites as they all prohibit personal attacks. I am not mad at you or even offended, mind you!, I don't mind explaining myself but you won't find the same tolerance anywhere else...


I have read all your posts so I do know a lot about you. I have been able to get hoarders closed down twice and I have helped another hoarder to stop. Why do you say you have 30 parrots on your profile and say you have 15? Which is the truth and which is false. There is no number that tells if someone is a hoarder. It is having more than normal of something and acting obsessed by it. I have seen your husband doesnt approve. You are always fighting with someone, which is common with obsessed. You parrots must be suffering even if it is 15. How do you spend time doing housework, feeding parrots, getting them all to the vet every year, and giving them all enough attention every day and keeping everything clean, plus have time to be on the internet and have a family? It is not possible to do it all with so many. When you get too many and they suffer for it you are a hoarder. Hoarders are defensive and always think they are right, so I can see why you are using the answers you are with me. Anyone who is a rescue or a home who does not rehome parrrots they rescue and gets too many is a hoarder. I have seen your posts saying no one else is good enough for your parrots and that is what hoarders say. It is for all parrot people to help put and end to hoarding.
Perroquet
Parrotlet
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 23
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:21 am

Alright, it is time to bring this to a halt. I allowed this to go on so as to allow Pajarita a chance to reply to your assumption about her hoarding. If you wish to continue this dialogue about hoarding I suggest that you do so through the Private messaging rather than hijacking this thread. If you wish to begin a topic about hoarding, without accusing any one of doing it , then please feel free to do so. Many people do not know much about this subject, so a general discussion might be a good thing, but the forum is not the place to for accusing anyone of anything.

I have, indeed been to her house and have seen the conditions her birds are provided with and I saw no evidence of hoarding.
Wolf
Macaw
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 8679
Location: Lansing, NC
Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Bird woman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:29 am

Wow guys stop !!!!! The one thing that we do all seem to have in common is the care , happiness and Walfare of our birds and the ability to help with true compassion those who seek information on the care and health of there own birds. There has been several post as I am new to this site and still reading that have mortified me and set off a lot of whistles and bells. But one thing that wolf and pajarita have taught me is to start being compassionate again because if someone has found this site then obviously there trying to get info. Hopefully to better care for there bird or make a determination on a specific species needs or hopefully to decide weather they want a bird or not. One cannot make an assumption that a person is a horder or collector or just a soft hearted fool such as myself by post alone or the amount of birds that we house. I have 9 mostly very large , somebody may have 40 very small ,ones so which ones the Horder? Take a chill pill :D BW
User avatar
Bird woman
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 868
Location: Southern , Oregon
Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:23 am

Perroquet wrote:I have read all your posts so I do know a lot about you. I have been able to get hoarders closed down twice and I have helped another hoarder to stop. Why do you say you have 30 parrots on your profile and say you have 15? Which is the truth and which is false. There is no number that tells if someone is a hoarder. It is having more than normal of something and acting obsessed by it. I have seen your husband doesnt approve. You are always fighting with someone, which is common with obsessed. You parrots must be suffering even if it is 15. How do you spend time doing housework, feeding parrots, getting them all to the vet every year, and giving them all enough attention every day and keeping everything clean, plus have time to be on the internet and have a family? It is not possible to do it all with so many. When you get too many and they suffer for it you are a hoarder. Hoarders are defensive and always think they are right, so I can see why you are using the answers you are with me. Anyone who is a rescue or a home who does not rehome parrrots they rescue and gets too many is a hoarder. I have seen your posts saying no one else is good enough for your parrots and that is what hoarders say. It is for all parrot people to help put and end to hoarding.


I will answer your questions this time and consider this matter closed as continuing an uninformed and unwarranted attack does nobody a favor. The profile asks for the number of birds, not the number of parrots (I also have canaries, finches, cardinals and button quails - all species that do not require any interaction, just proper care -which they get! I have given chats and conducted workshops in canary husbandry, breeding and have recently given one on parrot nutrition). My husband complains about the money spent but he doesn't really disapprove - quite the contrary, actually, he and all my children are quite proud of me and my work on behalf of animals. My family is very large (7 children and going on 12 grandkids) but it's just me and my husband now, the house has the right infrastructure and appliances to make things easy on me, I don't cook for us often anymore, I am hyperactive and never sleep more than 6 hours and I am the queen of multi-tasking so I manage very well (I actually have a VERY nice house and it's always very clean - so much so that the SPCA officer said that he had known as soon as I opened the door that there was no hoarding going on here because of the good smell). I don't think that nobody else is good enough for my parrots so I seriously doubt I ever said such a thing. And I do rehome! If you had actually read my postings, you would have seen that of the four GCCs that I took in because of aggression, three were rehomed! And, as soon as I get the lovebird a mate and the pair is settled and happy, they will be rehomed, too.

You say you know about hoarding but you must have missed certain characteristics that hoarders have - namely, that they do NOT join animal sites, they don't say how many animals they have, they don't mention any animal name or personality, they don't post pictures of them, they don't invite other people to their home, they have very little knowledge of medical issues or proper diet, etc. Basically, they are very careful to fly under the radar as much as possible and never invite scrutiny because although they think that what they are doing is OK, they do know that other people don't see it that way and they don't want to be caught. They also don't worry much about the food they give them, the conditions they are kept or their wellbeing and happiness so, if you really read my postings, you would know that I not only do research daily but that I also put birds (and all animals, actually) wellbeing and happiness before anything else.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 13326
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests

cron
Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store