Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness questions

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Harness questions

Postby HyperD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 am

I have bought the aviator harness for my senegal. I just had some questions on it... I dont actually have the bird yet, I will be getting it on the easter weekend, but I am just preparing everything!

Firstly, at what age is it safe to use the harness? My senegal is a baby and so I was thinking that they are a bit fragile young, plus their flight would not be up to scratch...

Also, I saw Michael's videos but I was thinking how best to introduce the harness. As Kili was not used to the harness, then it took some training. Would it be better to leave the harness around the training table so she is aware and used to it? I wouldnt involve the harness, but just leave it there so she see's it and knows it is not a threat?

Or should I just wait until she is ready for it and then introduce it like Michael did?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness questions

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:58 am

First off, you have not indicated that you have read the articles that the videos are only meant to supplement. So in case you haven't, start here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1329

What you need to worry about firsthand when you get the parrot is getting it comfortable with you and hand tame. Think about what kinds of physical manipulations you will have to do in order to get the harness on and tame those. With a new untrained bird, believe me, all the touching required will be the bigger issue than the sight of the harness itself. Kili was only scared of the harness cause I forced it on her the previous day and she didn't like it. So I had to start over and use positive reinforcement training to get her to wear it.

You can use the techniques in the harness article (minus the harness itself) to get your hands closer to the parrot, eventually touch the parrot, be able to open the parrots wings (to slip harness under), etc. The parrot must be fully confident in your touch prior to applying the harness. If the parrot is scared of you, it will also pass that feeling toward the harness and the harness will trigger fear in it.

Of course if you haven't already, be sure to check out my basics of taming/training article. If you go through all the necessary hand taming and leave/show the harness to the parrot throughout all this time, by the time you are ready to put it on, it shouldn't be scared of it. Walk around holding the harness. Show it to the parrot (but don't touch). Leave the harness on the table while you are doing the basic taming/training steps. Then when the parrot is tame, I would still recommend following the procedures I used in the videos. You may achieve quicker success than I did with a scared parrot, however, DO NOT just assume and stick the harness on. The harness is uncomfortable at first and you will jeopardize all the work you did if the parrot isn't gently/pleasantly introduced to it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Suzzique » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 am

I started putting Alex my cag into his harnes and taking him out when he was between 5 and 6 months old. I think the earlier you intoduce it the better overall. Did you watch the video that came with it? It is very good and is totally on the positive reinforcment.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 am

It is? To the extent that I remember it (and I could be forgetting), it predominantly emphasized negative reinforcement.

Unlike the included video or other trainers who pick one method to stick to, I used everything. Some trainers just use flooding/negative reinforcement. Others say to only use positive reinforcement. Most of them say not to use punishment. I used everything. I used flooding to make the parrot get close enough to the harness that there would be something to be able to positively reinforce. I use negative reinforcement to show her that eventually the harness will come off. I use positive reinforcement to encourage her to willingly put the harness on. I may not have talked about this but I use a little punishment as well. On occasion she will start biting/chewing the harness. The damn thing costs $40 so the last thing I need is for it to get destroyed in a short amount of time. So whenever she bites the harness, I jerk the harness so it knocks her off balance and pulls it away from her beak. I'm trying to use punishment (in the mildest form) to reduce chewing behavior. Some people could think this could be reinforcing and encourage playing with it, however, the less opportunities I give her to bite the harness and the more opportunities I give her to earn better reinforcement by doing other behaviors, the longer my harness will last :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to General Parrot Care