Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel or lovebird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Cockatiel or lovebird?

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:58 pm

I don't like how so many people say that cockatiels aren't good at tricks. That just isn't true! My cockatiel does recall, go to perch, target, wave, wings, turn around, fetch, go through ring, basketball, ring toss and birdie bowling. I think cockatiels are just as good at tricks as the larger parrots! The only thing they don't do is hang upside down, lay on their backs, play dead, etc. They just aren't comfortable going upside down. But they're super intelligent!
Last edited by Trick or 'Tiel on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 am

I am kind of a shut in so the internet is my outlet. I have been seeing posts of parrots on Face Book. There are some really good videos. Watching these birds makes me happy.

You don't want a Cockatoo because they are loud. They dance, sing and talk but can really disrupt a house.

You don't want an Amazon. Rainbow is like a five year old kid and Myrtle is like a two year old. They are very demanding and then again very loud.

I know a little about budgies. They makes sweet little twitters and can bond just like their big relatives. They just never shut up.

To me Cockatiels are the perfect parrots. So many in this forum have them and bond just as tight as a bigger parrot. They are smart and can really cause you to stay on your toes while trying to figure out what they are up to. The males sing and talk. The females have sweet twitters. Each one has it's own personality. I have a flock and know what I am talking about.

I have been watching a very smart on one on Face Book. He is a little ninja who hides behind chair legs and peeks around them. I saw him in another video but can't remember what he was hiding behind. He thinks he is being sneaky and creates a lot of laughs for his humans.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:44 am

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:I don't like how so many people say that cockatiels aren't good at tricks. That just isn't true! My cockatiel does recall, go to perch, target, wave, wings, turn around, fetch, go through ring, basketball, ring toss and birdie bowling. I think cockatiels are just as good at tricks as the larger parrots! The only thing they don't do is hang upside down, lay on their backs, play dead, etc. They just aren't comfortable going upside down. But they're super intelligent!

Ducky- Lutino Cockatiel :greycockatiel:
Bluebell- Blue Budgie :budgie:

Thats not true either lol, If I put my Male cockatiel on his back he would go mad but my Female will lay on her back comfortably and she will lay down flat on her stomach and go asleep on a comfy surface such as a blanket.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

Interesting. How can I teach my cockatiel to lay on his back? He absolutely hates it and flaps his wings to try to get up, and when I ask him to step up so I can try again, he knows what I'm going to do and bites me or flies away. I really want to teach him the bat trick also, where they hang from your finger, but again, the bird has to be comfortable with going upside down. I don't want to damage our relationship by forcing him to be upside down, so how can I teach him the trick? Thanks.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

Its not natural for Cockatiels, If he doesn't like it I wouldn't try.I didn't have to teach Loki she just could always do it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:33 am

You're right, it isn't natural for cockatiels to lie on their backs. I just wish there was a way, because it's one of the most classic bird tricks. I need more suggestions for new tricks I can teach him, because a lot of them involve going upside down and I'm running out of tricks. I love the "roll over" trick where they roll over like a dog, but again that can't be taught to cockatiels, or at least my cockatiel. I want a really impressive looking trick that will make my bird look really smart. If you suggest a prop trick, please tell me where to get the props. Thank you.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am

I don't teach tricks except for the basics such as Recall which I'm working on now with Oscar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:32 am

Well, it's okay if you don't teach tricks to your parrots, even though trick training is fun, provides mental stimulation, and builds a stronger bond between you and your bird. I personally love teaching tricks to mine. Recall is definitely important to teach any bird, just in case they do manage to get outdoors.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Well, it's okay if you don't teach tricks to your parrots, even though trick training is fun, provides mental stimulation, and builds a stronger bond between you and your bird. I personally love teaching tricks to mine. Recall is definitely important to teach any bird, just in case they do manage to get outdoors.

They manage to get out almost everyday but I know what you meant :D I just don't have the time to teach tricks on top of everything else though going outdoors is great bonding for us and he has a great time, He's always moving about and busy so at least he's not sitting around bored.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care