Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel or lovebird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Cockatiel or lovebird?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:I didnt say it was dumb I thought yaser said they thought birds like African greys were from columbia and I said they must be dumb if they think that.Please just read properly before accusing people of things.

I wasn't accusing you of anything and yes, that was what Yaser said but the decision of not allowing any parrots, even African ones, was not made because they are 'dumb' and, as such, made a 'dumb' decision not knowing the difference between Colombian and African species, there is a valid reason for it, that was the point of my answer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby yaser_a » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:59 pm

Hey good new!! I just found out of a breeder that can get me both cokatiel and lovebirds hand raised!
The bad side of this is that it confuses me even more :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !! I read that lovebirds extremly cuddly if hand raised. I am getting short if time and I still dont wich species should I choose!!! Please everyone post their opinions.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 conures

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:09 pm

yaser_a wrote:Hey good new!! I just found out of a breeder that can get me both cokatiel and lovebirds hand raised!
The bad side of this is that it confuses me even more :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !! I read that lovebirds extremly cuddly if hand raised. I am getting short if time and I still dont wich species should I choose!!! Please everyone post their opinions.

The question is can you get two of one species or are you planning on getting a second after a while? If your not around all the time both lovebirds and cockatiels would be very lonely if they didnt have anyone around.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby yaser_a » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:43 pm

I have read that if you get 2 birds they wont like to be with you and that is not what I want because I am looking for something that I can have a bond with something can be cuddly and learn tricks. My mom will be at home all day and make the bird company. The last bird I had loved being on the company with my mom,they even prayed togeter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so the bird being lonely is not a problem.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Well my experience is somewhat limited in that I have neither of the two species that you are looking at. I do have a pair of parrotlets which I am thinking are very similar to lovebirds, perhaps a bit more aggressive, but similar. I have had the female for a little more than a year, although she is 10 years old and the male is 4 years old, a retired breeder and I have only had him for a little over a couple of months. The jury is still out as to how tame he will become as breeder birds are treated differently than companion birds and don't normally trust humans. The female, on the other hand was rather affectionate with me and since I got her a mate has become even more attached to me. I understand this would partly be due to how we interact with each other, but I can't tell you if this is due to the individual personality of the bird or if this would be a species wide trait. This is the best that I can say about these birds to help you with your decision, wish I could give you more to go on.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 am

Small species really don't do well on their own regardless of what human is there with them all day long so, in my personal opinion, it's not kind to keep them alone. I also never found the 'if you have two birds, you won't have a good relationship with the bird' thing to be true. I only had a single hand-fed lovebird and, even though she ended up having two different husbands, she always loved me to pieces (she would even come out of her nest and leave her eggs -fake ones, of course!- every single day when I called her just to perch on my shoulder and give me kisses).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:16 am

Rocko still got attention while I was at school but I still got him Loki and Rocko is still bonded to me
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby yaser_a » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Well I hope that is true! The more the better but I would first like to try with one and then if I do well we can get another one. Please post your opinions because I am still confused if I still get a lovebird :swaying: or cocktiel :greycockatiel:.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:17 pm

There is no reason that you can't get them one at a time.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby yaser_a » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm

May everyone please post some cons and pros of lovebirds and cockatiels and then give your opinion please. Thanks :D
yaser_a
Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care