Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how do i stop my lovebird from laying

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

how do i stop my lovebird from laying

Postby vikkirikki » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:41 pm

my lovebird will not stop laying eggs :swaying: if i block off the nest box she lays somewhere else. what do i do?
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: how do i stop my lovebird from laying

Postby Chantilly » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:37 am

vikkirikki wrote:my lovebird will not stop laying eggs :swaying: if i block off the nest box she lays somewhere else. what do i do?

I would let her lay if that is what she wants, just make sure she is getting enough protein and calcium :thumbsup:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby liz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:29 am

Don't take away the eggs. Remove the nest box from the cage. Let her have her eggs until she gives up on them. If she has a mate that is another matter. The egg could be fertile which means you would have to substitute or your going to have more birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Sorry but, taking into consideration that she already laid 6 clutches, unless she is 4 years old and she has been laying not more than two clutches a year and only during breeding season (which I don't think it's the case here) I don't agree with either advice given previously. If I am right, you need to stop her from laying more and this is what you need to do:
1. remove the nest
2. let her out to fly every day for, at least, 3 hours
3. do not free-feed pellets or seeds (transition them to a fresh food diet)
4. put them under a STRICT solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk

The whole idea behind these recommendation is to make environmental conditions harder for her to become broody while, at the same time, getting her endocrine system back on track. Now, these things will not make her stop immediately, it will take time because even after they stop producing sexual hormones, they still have them in their bloodstream -and, in my personal experience, lovebirds take the longest time to get their endocrine system back in tune with the seasons (it took a 9 year old hen an entire year!). But you need to do it because no bird can lay so many eggs in a short period of time without becoming depleted or ending up with some sort of medical emergency (cloacal prolapse, eggbinding).

I would also make sure she has enough calcium and vit D3 to absorb it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby vikkirikki » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:33 pm

thankyou for your replies. I decided to introduce myself in the introduction part of the forum. I thought that might be better than separate posts. Sorry I am just learning about forums as well as about birds!
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby vikkirikki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:13 am

can you read my post it is called :swaying: how to stop nesting
vikkirikki
Lovebird