Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how do i stop my lovebird from biting?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: how do i stop my lovebird from biting?

Postby Wolf » Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 am

It sounds like you are making progress with vikki so I would continue what you are doing, although I would use her name a lot when talking to her as names are very important to a parrot. They are self aware and their name is as important to them as yours is to you. She is a small bird and it seems to me that the lovebirds and parrotlets take a bit longer than most other small parrots to trust you enough to not think about biting first. My parrotlets still prefer to bite first and then bite again just to settle any questions instead of asking any questions second. Patience is hard to come by at times but it is still early and patience is your best friend. earning their trust and building a good bond and relationship is the most important thing that you can do with her. Without the trust you don't really have much of anything. So lots of talking and time out of her cage with you is the best thing that you can do.

I think that at this point you might consider cutting up something like apple, pears, cantalope and even strawberries into some very small pieces and cut the rest of the fruit into pieces comfortable for you and nibbling on them while you have her out with you to offer to her as a treat. The sharing of food is a very important activity for a parrot, it helps to build a better bond, increase the variety of foods that they eat and helps build trust and social skills in the parrot. Also it is normal and actually a good sign at this point that she does not want to return to her cage, so when it is time for her to go back to her cage offer her a favorite treat before putting her in the cage and a couple of bites more of it in her food dish for her to nibble on while you close the door. it will help putting her back in the cage a bit easier.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 09, 2016 9:50 am

And make sure she flies a lot. Lovies, especially females, are very hormonal little birds and flying helps with aggression.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby vikkirikki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:33 am

when I walk over the front only the front of vikki`s cage she come over to me :swaying:
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebirds

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care