Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how do i stop my lovebird from biting?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: how do i stop my lovebird from biting?

Postby vikkirikki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:47 pm

I have 2 girls!!!! the dna test just came through :)
so I will be getting rid of the one I call boy.
I have been making good progress with 'girl'. yesterday she followed the chopstick out of her cage and all over her cage and accepted sunflower seeds out of my fingers without biting my fingers :swaying: she still bites me when I am not holding treats though. But I think we are going well. And I am excited about working better with her once the other girl ' Boy' is gone. 'He' has always been the more aggressive one of the two.
so YAY :)
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby vikkirikki » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 am

I have had Girl out on my arm this afternoon. She did bite me once through my long sleeves and tried to bite me a few times. But I have had her out on my arm again yay :)
'boy' is spending a lot of time in the nest box so that is helping me have some time with Girl. :swaying: :swaying: :swaying: :mlovebird: :mlovebird: :lovebird3: :lovebird3: :lovebird2: :lovebird2: :lovebird2: :corella: :corella: :corella:
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby Chantilly » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:19 am

Congrats, although I think it is sad that Boy will soon go to a new home, it is great that you have been making progress with Girl, and this will probably help you allot with making more of that progress :)

Congratulations vikkirikki & Girl! keep up the great work ;) :thumbsup: :D :lovebird2: :pirate: :swaying:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:07 am

Why could you not keep both of them but move one of them into a second cage? There is no reason that you could not have two birds so that they have the company of the other one when you are not there and you could also train both of them. It could be lots of fun.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:30 am

In separate cages they can still keep each other company when you are not home. My cockatiels were afraid of my love bird in the same cage so I kept them caged separate except for their open door free flight times. The cockatiels were not afraid while they were loose. They would even land near him and eat with him as long as they were able to fly and get away.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby vikkirikki » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 pm

so I have put them in separate cages and they have been screeching without stopping across the room. The girl who is nesting wont go into her nest box now I have put it in a different cage. And the girl who is nesting is the biting bird that I am afraid of. So now I just hope someone will want her and I can concentrate on training my other girl without being interrupted by the biting nesting girl. :swaying: :swaying:
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:49 pm

If you place the cages next to each other they will be much quieter and both of them will be less stressed out.

If you will just take the time to talk and sing to both of them and hand tame them both I am absolutely certain that you would have a much happier pair of birds. And I think that you would be amazed at how loving and responsive that they can become if you just put in the time with them.

Why are you so set on having a mated pair ( a male and female), when you do not have either the knowledge or the experience to raise the baby birds properly? This is truly not as simple of a thing as letting the parent birds raise them, because with your birds having been hand raised themselves there is a very big chance that they do not know how to raise the babies either. I am not trying to be difficult, but just as you need to learn a lot about these birds, if we are going to be helpful to you then we also need to learn about you and your birds. Nothing happens in a vacuum.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby vikkirikki » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 pm

I am not set on raising babies. I do not need a mated pair. I am happy to have one bird that is tame.
I just thought they would have babies because I was told they were a pair and they started laying and nesting. So I gave them a nest box and left them alone.

Mum bought me the 2 birds for my birthday.

I have put the cages closer together now.
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby vikkirikki » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:02 pm

they are happier now. The nesting girl has found her nest box and has settled down. My tamer girl is starting to get used to the fact that she can't get to her friend.
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Good, I am so glad that they are now both much happier. I apologise for reading things wrong, it just appeared to me that having babies was really important to you and I wanted to try and understand why.

Now instead of trying to use sunflower seeds for a treat , I would get some sprig type millet to use as it is easier to use when working through the cage bars and will also place a little distance between your fingers and the bird. Since the bird is scared enough that it is biting this could prove very helpful in winning their trust without risking getting bitten by either of them.

Parrots are generally not very aggressive birds although they will fight to the death in defense of their nesting area and eggs or babies. They will also defend their mates. But other than this they are very gentle birds who only bite in self defense. They are much too fragile to do otherwise and flight is their preferred manner od defending themselves from predators and this is why the evolved to live in flocks as it is very hard for a predator to grab one bird out of the air when you have 20 more of them flying all about you as well. The bird who is caring for the nest and the eggs is just doing what nature calls for her to do and that is to protect the nest and the eggs that are in it. Once she loses interest in the eggs because they are not hatching, you will be able to remove both the nest box and the eggs and she will be much easier to work with.

Have you given any thought to names for them? Names are very important to them, Maybe even something as simple as Lucy and Lady Bird since they are most likely sisters. They really won't care what you name them as long as you give them their very own name. If you can't think of what to name them perhaps you can get suggestions from your friends or even from your mom. There will come a time when you will want them to know their names such as when you want to call one of them to come to you but don't want both of them. Or it could be very useful if you decide to teach them to fly to you through an obstacle course of from around a corner. I think that you can see how useful it is to have your own name. They are very much like humans in this respect.

I, myself am now faced with a situation that is remarkably similar to the one that you have with your two girls although mine will actually be the harder one to deal with effectively. I will share it with you if you would like, if not then just disregard the remainder of this reply.
About two years ago I got a female Celestial parrotlet who, I was told was about 5 years old, but turned out to ne 10 years old. She was plucking due to not getting enough attention. I promised that I would try to provide her with a mate. I Call her Keeta.
It took about a year and I finally got her a beautiful 5 year old male Celestial parrotlet who is a turquoise mutation, he was a retired breeder bird. My biggest concern was that she would reject him. He is not handleable due to the differences in the way that breeder birds are treated from how companion birds are treated. It may be possible to gain his trust but sometimes it is not possible. I never intended to raise any babies so it was planned that I would always replace the real eggs with dummy eggs. But this is not going to be an issue as he has after several months of living together started to abuse her and because I was afraid that he would kill her I have had to separate them. I gave them time apart but next to each other and waited until their was once again romantic interest between them and she accepted him right away but he proved once again to be too mean to leave them in the same cage and they are once again separated, but next to each other. His name is Rajah.

I was going to allow them to live together more as aviary type birds and let them just be happy with each other without much interference from me. This would have kept Rajah much more stress free since it would not matter if I did not play with him and she would not need me to give her the attention that she expected from me because she would have a real mate to give her the attention without her resorting to plucking her feathers out. I would have been a pretty much ideal situation for them and me. Not a happening thing. I will have to re hand tame Keeta and show her that I can still be trusted and I will have the nearly impossible task of winning Rajah's trust and developing a bond with him.
Our situations are similar due to the birds in each of our possession are themselves very similar species of parrots although the parrotlet is the more aggressive of the two species. And then there is the difference that yours are still young birds whom you just need to win the trust of and develop a bond with. My two parrotlets are such that the male has never trusted nor bonded with any human and my female has been betrayed at least once by her human, and poor Keeta may view my attempt at giving her a mate as my betraying her trust as well so I will have to start all over with her to gain her trust once again,
We both must take two similar species of parrots who may feel that their trust was betrayed and regain their trust so that bonding with us can happen, but my birds are also much older.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care