Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Dynamic Lovebird Duo?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

The Dynamic Lovebird Duo?

Postby Titanius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:09 pm

I've been doing lots of research on parrots. I finally settled on possibly getting a hand-fed Lovebird. My mom is pretty enthusiastic about it but we always had parakeets before and she always resolved that the birds would be happy kept in a pair. They often were and after months of socialization they warmed up to me. Still I could never have 2 of them out of the cage at once or it was birdie armageddon. Now even more she holds to that logic of wanting to get maybe 2 lovebirds. From what I've read they supposedly bond with each other more and not you. Can someone share with me their thoughts? Is this true?
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: The Dynamic Lovebird Duo?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:16 pm

I don't have any direct experience, but I gather that's a risk, especially if you wind up with the same species and opposite genders. It will be interesting to hear from others here who have more experience than I do.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Yup. When people but them in pairs, the birds bond to each other and then defend each other and their territory from human intruders. Single parrots get bored and look forward to some human company. It's no substitute for other parrot company but it works. However, if they can just spend their time with another parrot of the same species, they couldn't care less about the human because there is nothing you can do better for them than the other parrot can.

So if you are buying the parrot to be a companion to YOU, then buy just one and be its companion. If you are just going to leave them in the cage, never interact with them, and just use them as a decoration, I would say don't buy them at all but other people would say get them in a pair then.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Titanius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Yea, I'm just looking for a companion kind of bird. I don't understand the logic of getting a bird as a furniture piece. - _ -
Titanius
Conure

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Then definitely buy ONE. Get used to it. See how you like it. Let it get used to you. Enjoy each other's company and eventually if YOU want another parrot, you can buy another one later. The first one will be used to you already and you can keep the second parrot in a separate cage and let it only interact with you as well. If you are buying a parrot and want to spend double so that your pet could have its own pet... then get two but you'll be disappointed.
Michael
Macaw

Postby LeeBee » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:18 am

Lovebirds are known to be one of the most stubborn, hard to tame and self motivated species of parrot out there.
If it is a tame, 'hands on' companion you are after, then seriously consider getting a single bird, especially if it has been hand raised/hand fed.
There are so many myths about lovebirds having to be kept in pairs that often first time owners feel the need to get a pair, only to find that their birds are so closely bonded that they want little to do with their owner and often become fearful of people, and losing much of their 'pet quality'.
Before I had my Lovie, Pepper I had a pair of Peach Faced lovies that were closely bonded, and totally disinterested with human company, apart from times when they would attack my hands when trying to feed them, of course ;)
I would strongly suggest that, if you haven't already, you research into Lovebirds a little, just to let yourself truly be prepared for the bundle of fluff and feathers you'll be bringing home.
'Lovebird' can often be a misleading name for this species, but they do make wonderful pets, and amazing companions if given the time and patience that they deserve.
LeeBee
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischer's Lovebird

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:52 pm

It's not a species. It's the entire genus. Lovebird is homologous to Amazon. There are many species of Amazons and likewise many of lovebirds (9 if I remember correctly).
Michael
Macaw

Postby LeeBee » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:00 pm

(9 if I remember correctly).

Indeed correct.
In my post above, species=Genus. Forgive me, but I wasn't paying as much attention to the post as I should have, Easter is far too chocolatey to concentrate! ;)
LeeBee
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischer's Lovebird

Postby Titanius » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 pm

You have no idea how many sites I've been through. I just hope I'm totally prepared for that this new addition might bring. It's interesting how it all started with seeing one of Michael's videos with his parrot Kili. That's not the whole reason but just seeing the companionship re-invigorated that love I had always had for parrots in general.
Titanius
Conure

Return to General Parrot Care