Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 am

I thought I was going to end up with a cockatoo. My sister called. Animal control in a nearby town, one with which my sisters vet office works, had come into possession of a 5 year old, female U2. The owner had passed away. We can't take any birds at the rescue right now, and they were looking for someone to foster it or adopt it.

She kept telling me that it was friendly and loved everyone. I tried explaining that the bird is still a juvenile, and that "loves everyone" stuff could be turning very soon. Also mentioned that a U2 is not the kind of bird you can just put in a cage in a corner of your home and "foster" until a permanent home comes along. They're one of the neediest birds there is.

Well, she found a home for her pretty quickly. I guess they called a client with big bird experience, and she came and took the bird right away ( before I even got to go visit her). It's a happy ending, but I worry so much about a bird of that age. Maybe changing home at the start of puberty will be exactly what she needs. Leaving the nest, so to speak, at that age, may be a natural thing and it may really work out.

I just hope the adopter knows what she's in for. At this point, with the U2 and M2s I can handle at the rescue, I just hug them and tell them I'm sorry. There seems to be almost no way to really meet their needs. You can make them so happy, but as soon as you walk away, they seem so miserable. I just don't know how many people leading a normal, moderm lifestyle are equipped to make these birds content.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:03 pm

They are not, John. Nobody with a normal lifestyle can make these birds happy - that's the tragedy of breeding these birds to be used as human pets. The breeders literally doom the babies to a life of misery.

The only people who can, up to a point, keep them from utter despair are empty nester older people with good financial resources and no desire to go anywhere for the rest of their lives (me being one who doesn't qualify!). But how many of them are that would have the experience and the desire to take in one or two large birds? And, as the bird will outlive the few that are, it will end up in, most likely, a not so good home. It's always a no-win situation for them, poor things!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm three years old today!

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Happy Bird day !! :hatching: :hatched: :lol:
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 am

Beautiful bird.
Many Happy Returns of the day. :hatched:
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Awww, Ocean is looking wonderful, John! Happy Hatchday, Ocean!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Pajarita wrote:Awww, Ocean is looking wonderful, John! Happy Hatchday, Ocean!

That's an old picture. Too cold to be outside today! That's her calendar shot!

I'll have to get a new one of her uploaded.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:10 pm

After years of flying around in the same space, she smacked into the glass door today. Little meathead. She seems to be okay.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:41 pm

I spread the word about www.theparrotforum.com to anyone with a bird.
I had an appointment with my new primary care doctor. New doctors are hard to adjust to and he was a he unlike all the others being female.

He asked me if I had pets. I told him I have 4. I have a dog, 2 Amazons and a Flock of Cockatiels.
It broke the ice. When he stopped laughing he said he had a Cockatiel and was asking for info. I gave him my personal email and theparrotforum website.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 am

This is Lucky. I'm babysitting him again. The heat went out in his house.

He was found in a parking lot, in a snowstorm, in 1993. He is old, but we don't know exactly how old.

The odd thing I find about Lucky is that he doesn't seem to be able to bite. I know Cockatiels aren't very hard biters, but they can give you a bit of a nip. Lucky tries to bite me, but there is no strength to his bites at all.

He does fly, a bit, but he doesn't fly well. Overall, he seems a little weak and a little frail.

He is sitting on my shoulder today. He doesn't want to get off. He doesn't know that I have to trim his nails later.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care