Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 am

I just bought 5 of the grains at Whole Foods and made my own mix. Just the beans, lentils, and hominy to add, and I’ll be done for about a month.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am

AHA! You have graduated to 'Advanced Gloop' :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Lentils and hominy might get eliminated going forward. There is salt in them. I rinse them well, but if Nicky really does have some kidney problems, they might not be worth adding.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:13 am

That looks like what I make. I soak grain in boiling water over night to pop the grain open for the babies. I rinse the grain then I use frozen mixed vegetables with it. Frozen veg are more nutritious than fresh unless you pick in your own garden. They are also easier for the little birds to eat since they are already softened.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Do you think I should start an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement for Nicky? If he is starting to have kidney issues it might seem like a good idea.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:24 am

Nick's uric acid was 3.6 in 2016, 2.0 in 2017, 10.0 today.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 am

Your lentils have salt? You don't buy the dry ones and cook them yourself? I cook them with the rice and barley. And, for the hominy, I use a brand that has low salt [I think the name is Juanita or something like that] and rinse it thoroughly under running warm water so, although I am sure there is still some salt in there, it's really very little.

As to omega 3, just add flax seed or flax seed meal to his food. But, for kidneys, the best thing is hydration and low protein and he is already getting both with the gloop but, if you are worried about it, add the tiniest sprinkle of devil's claw and alfalfa to his food for the next week or two. But, personally, John, I would not be worried at all although I would make a mental note to remember. For one thing, according to my references, grays uric acid levels are normal all the way up to 9 so 10 is not bad at all - and taking into consideration that he had gone through an ordeal and that -correct me if I am wrong because I am guessing here- his blood was drawn on the pm [parrots being hard-wired to drink mostly at dawn], I would not worry at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:25 am

I think I’m using Goya on both. I can cook my own lentils.

I’m really not inclined to do much about the uric acid levels.

I’m going to monitor his droppings (which look good), and watch for signs of poly-drinking-too-much.

He seems normal for him. Too skinny, and fairly sedate, but eating lots of chop and being vocal at dawn and dusk. Snapping his beak if the small birds or small dog gets too close.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 am

That's the way I would go, too. Mind you and everybody else who is reading this thread, I am ALL for taking birds to the vet BUT, in my personal experience, it's best not to take them too often because stress is a parrot's worst enemy and, in most cases, the actual underlying cause of death. So, although all my birds get a complete first physical and, if necessary, a follow up for bloodwork [this ONLY if the white cell count from the first bloodwork is terribly high because I would not do a follow up for things like high uric acid, bile acids, cholesterol, etc], I don't take them again unless they are sick, hurt or very old.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 am

Nicholas just but the hell pit of my hand (Well, at sunrise). I was reaching in to gove him his chop (he has to have a locking bowl or he will throw it. He bit 'at' my hand once, and then nailed my finger. I don't think he's ever bitten me like that before.

The puppy had destroyed my glasses and I was wearing my old ones. That's all I can think of that was different. They're Prada frames, Nicholas! They're not that bad!.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care