Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 am

I guess the breed just has a low pain threshold. She’s still moping and still seems to hate me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:39 am

If she is wearing her E collar, it's not moping, it's discomfort. And I know for a fact that she doesn't hate you for it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:04 pm

No e collar. She’s not bothering the incision and the e collar just seems to under her more. She just ties to get it off.
My sister said that most dogs don’t need the cone, at all.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 am

I never use them myself but then they are with me all the time so I can watch them while most dogs spend their entire days alone, poor things!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:17 am

cones are cruel
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 am

Well, I would not call them cruel... they are uncomfortable for them but, sometimes, they are necessary.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 am

I'm just checking about the diet for my Hooded Parrot. He gets gloop. He tends to eat nothing but the beans. I'm feeding him a parakeet mixture of seeds. Its supposed to be high quality stuff. It's Dr Harrison"s Parakeet Blend. I also mix in some tops pellets. I put some tops pellets in another bowl and crush up a nutriberry over the pellets.he doesn't eat any pellets.

So many people a totally opposed to seeds. They say to give him nothing else but the pellets, and he will eat them. First of all, I'd never do that. Second of all, i think seeds are the right diet for a grass-keet type of bird. He also gets millet about once every two weeks, when I think of it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 am

You are 100% right, of course. I once had an argument with an avian vet who claimed that canaries (which are not only natural seed eaters but which have been domesticated and bred by humans feeding them seeds since the 1400s) had to be fed pellets. Ridiculous! All I can say is that anybody who claims that pellets are the best dietary option for any type of bird is somebody who has NOT done enough research on the subject or is one of those ignorant people who think man knows better than Mother Nature.

The natural diet of hooded parrots is seeds (and you can see them in almost every picture foraging in the grass for its seeds), berries (have you tried giving him wild blueberries or currants that are also very small?) and greens - just like most keets in Australia. Why don't you try making him a gloop of mostly grains (adding only some sweet corn and chopped broccoli) but choose small ones, like millet, steel cut oats and barley (the pearled one they sell in the supermarket is usually small in size)? Red rice will also do well, I think.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm

He will eat blueberries, but only if I cut them in half.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am

My conure is screaming her head off all day. She’ll take a break now and then, but it’s most of the day. I don’t want to reward the screaming, so I’ll go take her out whe she has been quiet. She then just flies round and wants nothing to do with me. She puts herself back in the cage fairly quickly. I can’t just leve the cage door open, because my grey will try to kill her if she lands on his cage, and getting bitten twice has not taught her not to do that. She even lands on the side, rather than the top so she’s easier to get.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care