Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 am

How unusual! I don't know of a single GCC that doesn't want to be ON its human all the time. Even Boca, the poor little male that had been severely neglected and borderline abused and was VERY aggressive when he first came, wanted to be on me -even if it was just to bite me. I also have no real experience with GCCs that scream all the time. Pichu used to do it when she first came but she stopped after a few weeks. I don't know if you are still looking for a male but, if you are not, you might want to consider getting one for Ocean. I think she would be much happier with a companion of her own. Codee and Andy (I decided to name the new guy for Raggedy Andy because he looks like crap, all plucked and raggedy looking, the poor thing!) are doing well. He also used to scream when he first came but slowly but surely, he has slowed down... He mostly spends his days hanging on to the bars on the side where Codee's cage is. He hasn't had any symptom of anything and has been eating his gloop with gusto as well as raw produce so I might start putting them together slowly and gradually and see how that works out because, as he is parent-raised and has never been handled, it would be much easier for me if he was bonded to Codee and went on his own into the cage when she did.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Pajarita wrote:You are 100% right, of course. I once had an argument with an avian vet who claimed that canaries (which are not only natural seed eaters but which have been domesticated and bred by humans feeding them seeds since the 1400s) had to be fed pellets. Ridiculous! All I can say is that anybody who claims that pellets are the best dietary option for any type of bird is somebody who has NOT done enough research on the subject or is one of those ignorant people who think man knows better than Mother.

Unfortunately, I think pellets are the best option for most bird owners, because most have not or will not do the research to come up with a better diet on their own. Pellets right next to a water bowl, and supplemented with a lot of fruits and vegetables is as good as most birds will get it. It’s what I’d be doing if I had not read your posts.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:53 am

In all honesty, I blame the Avian Vets for this. They are the ones that keep on recommending pellets as the best dietary option when they are not. And, although I am sure that they don't do it out of malice but out of ignorance, my beef is that if you know nothing about something, you should not use your position of authority to recommend one thing or another knowing that people will believe you because they assume you know what you are talking about (because, let's face it, how many people know that avian vets do not study parrot nutrition or their natural diets?). It's almost as bad as vets that recommend declawing cats - how can somebody who is supposed to love animals promote mutilation that have life-long negative consequences for the poor animal?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:17 am

My grey is so loud at dawn and dusk, and at various times during the day, that I don’t think I can take it any more with my PTSD. I used to be out of the house a lot more, and I thi k he only does this when someone is here (not sure,) but his loud whistles and beeps are at 97 decibels. His shrieks are a bit louder. Being on or out of the cage doesn’t matter. I gave up and covered his cage today. That made no difference either. I’m exhausted. He starts at sunrise and goes on for hours.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:45 am

How unusual! I've never had a gray (had 6 of them) that was loud. I mean, it's not that they don't have the ability to be loud because, of course, they do! But I've never had one that did any screaming or loud whistles or any kind of loud or frequent noise. You hardly ever hear a peep out of Sophie unless it's in response to some sort of stimulus... like, for example, when Linus screams, she tells him to Shut up but that's about it.

I wonder what it would take for him not to make noises all the time...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 am

I give many different sized perches to all my birds. The variety is good, and I’ve always assumed that they would spend the most time on the perches that were the best size for them.

Apparently, for Nicky, location is more important than perch size. He has two perches, both in the back of the cage, in the corners, near the top. He used to spend most of his time, and sleep, on the one on the left, which is a properly-sized sweet feet perch. The one on the right is too small. Okay for variety, but probably not good for extended perching. Since the move he was spending most of his time on the smaller perch, and his nails are getting too long too fast. And this is the last bird I want to restrain to do nails. The windows are on the same side, etc, so I don’t know why he changed his habit. So I bought another sweet feet perch, and replaced the small perch. Nicky is scared of it, of course, and now he’s back to spending his time on the left.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue May 14, 2019 8:01 am

And I’d really like to find a companion for Irwin, my hooded parrot. As they’re extremely rare in the US, people are suggesting a try another grasskeet, like a budgie, of a bourques, or all kind of other grasskeets that I know nothing about. I’d try a female budgie, but if it didn’t work out, I’d have a budgie, and I wouldn’t really have the space and energy for another bird and cage, etc. I have a friend who has a small flock of budgies. I think she has seven. Her taking the budgie if it didn’t work out with Irwin night be an option. I just feel bad for Irwin. His mate died the day after the Weston seizure, and he wants nothing to do with people. It must be so stressful for him to be alone.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 am

Third post today!

I spent all day Monday looking for an escaped grey. One of the “lost bird” pages I follow posted about a lost bird who was right near me. Of course it was raining, and of course she was lost on the highlands, the part of the city with giant hills. I talked to the owner and she said that her wings are usually clipped. I figured, by that, that her breast muscles would be weak and she would not have gone far. I had a direction of travel, so I spent hours going in circles, downhill (I figured she’d be going down hill since her house was literally on top of the highest hill in the city.) I was carrying a towel and a travel cage. Way at the bottom of the hill was a Dunkin’ Donuts, so I got coffee and fattening foods, and made my way, back and forth, up the hill. I talked to the owner and told her to call the police and animal control. Yesterday someone called the police and said she had found a red and grey bird. The police gave the person the owner’s number. The person drove to the owner’s house and Sophie was back in her house.
The thing is that the bird was found over on Pine hill the same day she was lost. That’s a LONG way to go, in a short time, for a bird that has spent most of her life clipped and mist have had her muscles atrophy from that. And in the rain!!!
I explained to the owner why clipping was bad, but I’m almost sure she’s going to have her clipped again. Either way, she’s home now.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 14, 2019 11:44 am

:lol: That Nicky... But, to a certain extent, they are all like that: stubborn things that want what they want and don't care about what is best for them! Just wait him out, he will be fine.

And I hear you on Irwin... but if you persevere, you will find something that will make him happy, only I don't think that a budgie will do, he needs a bird that looks more like him, I would think. Why don't you look for a female mulga?

GREAT on the lost parrot story and how kind of you to help with the search! They can fly long distances even with clipped wings (most like she had already molted some of the primaries) if they get a nice gust of wind.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue May 14, 2019 2:07 pm

I wish I could get a picture of it, but Nicky has a back nail that makes an almost circular, small circle. It’s perfect for getting caught on a cage bar, and it’s already happened once. That being said, I don’t think a perch can keep a deformed nail like that short, anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care