Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:18 am

They are! And such EXCELLENT eaters! I am always in awe of how good they eat even though Isis, the female, ate only raw nuts, green beans and dried papaya for years! But they are also very naughty - much, much more than the senegals. At least mine are - they are always stealing things and, when you tell them to drop whatever it is they have, they take off carrying it in their beak to some high up place where I cannot reach them so they can destroy it 'in peace' - and they take things that can be dangerous to them, like pens! They LOVE to chew pens! I have to keep my eye on both of them all the time because of their penchant for thievery :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am

We might have a GCC coming in. It's a turquoise just like Ocean. Still trying to find out if it's a confirmed Male. Trying to decide if it's the right time to introduce a new bird, given the problems Nicky is having.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 am

Well, in reality, if you think about it, the solution is just a matter of infrastructure and a change in routine because all you would have to do is to separate Nicky and Ocean. I don't think that Nicky does well with other birds around -at least, not right now- so if you put Ocean in one room and Nicky in another and they don't ever see each other, in time, you could introduce a male to Ocean. I realize that the arrangement is a pain in the neck and that it means that you will have to divide your attention between the two rooms (which I can tell you from personal experience, it's an even bigger pain in the neck because you end up with no time for anything else) but it will work to both their satisfaction. And, when and if Ocean bonds with the male, it will satisfy her needs for constant attention which will, in turn, free some of your time to spend alone with Nicky.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:24 am

My big fear is that I take him and then he doesn't bond with Ocean. Then I have another bird and another cage I don't really have the space for.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:35 am

Yes, that is always a possibility. I've never had any problem with getting little birds to bond with one another and even the medium size ones eventually do BUT it can take years... The other thing you can consider which helps with the lack of room is breeder cages like this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/bird-cage-large-double-stack-/182557133374?hash=item2a8140ca3e:g:3lIAAOSwNnRYfUVi

I don't like them because one of the birds ends up practically on the floor but If the birds use them only for sleeping, I guess it's not too bad and both take up the space of a single one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 pm

We have stackers at the rescue that are going to be sold, given away, or thrown out, soon. They're dark and terrible. We had a triple stacker and one that was like 4 cubes. I always felt bad for the birds not on the top.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 am

Yes, I don't like that kind of cage at all. I know of a rescuer that used to use them [I don't know if she still does but, given the fact that she thought she was better than anybody else, I would assume nothing has changed]. She had three-cage stacks against the walls of two of the rooms where she kept the medium size birds. I once accused her of 'warehousing' birds... needless to say, she did not take it kindly :lol: but I always think that rescues should be held to higher standards than owners because, after all, they are supposed to be ran by knowledgeable and experienced people who love birds... role models, so to speak.

These are the kind of cages that breeders use but, of course, breeders don't love birds, they just exploit them... The cages themselves are not completely useless though because they would be very practical for moving a number of birds at the same time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:13 am

We took those cages from the breeder, and had to use them for a while. Luckily, enough birds have found homes that we don't need to do use them anymore.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:14 am

Pajarita wrote:Awww, poor baby! I don't know how effective the Avicalm is but I still use it because I always think that even if it's the smallest difference, it's still help.

I don't think that more protein is the answer, we always feed more than enough protein in captivity, but I would make sure she is getting 'good' protein. This time of the year, I always doctor their seed/nut dinner with a bit of hemp seed and a bit of insect protein mixed in with their gloop once a week or so. If you can't find whole hemp seed by you, let me know and I'll send you some -I can get it at ABBA. As to insect protein, I use freeze-dried mealworms -fresh could have salmonella and too much fat- https://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Worms-Free ... B00L5PAZEA

You can also use quinoa in the gloop -I get the three colors combined together but any kind is good.
Oh, and add a bit of sesame seed to their diet, too -high in methionine, good for molting!

I'm at Whole Foods now. Do you cook the quinoa? How about the sesame seed?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 am

Sorry, I didn't see this posting, John. I never cook the seeds [flax and sesame] but I do the quinoa only I do it separately because it's so much smaller than the other grains that it cooks much faster.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care