Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:02 am

Nicky is still plucking, but not as badly. The Borneo virus tests were negative, not that that means much. Vet still wants to see him again, still recommends gabapenten, but I think I'm most in favor of doing nothing. It was bringing him to the vet that started all this.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

I agree with you completely!!! Avian vets were trained in dogs and cats BEFORE they apprenticed under a certified avian vet and, in my personal opinion, tend to treat birds as they would dogs and cats which is a BIG mistake! In my personal experience, parrots do NOT benefit from going to the vet often. having tests or taking medicines all the time. It's too stressful for them and, whenever you are dealing with an animal that is plucking, the best thing you can do for them is reduce stress as much as possible and adhere to a very, very strict routine. Vet visits, tests, medicines, etc are never the solution for them - and, if you ask me, the best thing you can do to help them overcome the habit is completely ignore it because the more things you try, the harder it will be for the bird to stop.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 am

I think I need to give them less gloop, so they eat a bigger % of it and get more of the Avicalm. I throw away a lot of gloop.

I do roll things like grapes or corn-on-the-cob in avicalm before I give it to them.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:12 am

I put the theanine in their water as well as some in the gloop - but this is done more for the liver benefit than for calming them. I have pluckers but I don't really do anything different for them than I do for the others because, in my personal experience, they will either stop on their own or they won't.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:09 pm

The avicalm seems sticky. I didn't want it in the water in case they bathed in it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 am

Mine are not real good bathers - all they end up with is a wet head and, sometimes, also the chest :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:28 am

I got some AviFlax Gold. It's just milled organic flaxseed. It says it prevents plucking. I don't know how it would do that, but I'm adding it to the gloop anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 am

Well, that's one of those claims on products for birds that is nothing but hyperbole which works only on the uninformed because of course that flax seed will not prevent plucking :lol: But, if you go with a real roundabout way about things, I guess you could say that it would as it's rich in omega 3 which is good nutrition for them and good nutrition helps with everything.

Manufacturers know that one of the things that people dread the most is plucking so they offer all kinds of stuff for it -avian vets do the same thing by 'diagnosing' the cause and selling 'medicine' for it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:31 am

I suppose these things could prevent or help with plucking that occurs for reasons such as dry skin, etc. I don't know how much it helps for psychological plucking
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Sheils » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 am

:cry: So sorry to hear that, get well soon angel
Sheils
Lovebird