Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:35 am

I have to decide whether to take Irwin, the hooded parrot, to the vet. He last had bloodwork in Sept of '16. He seems to be doing better, generally happier, flying more, calling more, eating a more varied diet. I just don't want to upset the applecart unnecessarily.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:37 am

His bloodwork was done on intake to the rescue. It's probably not as extensive as my vet would do.

He did have a mate who died the day we took them in, but I assumed that was malnutrition.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:37 am

Here is Ocean in her favorite bowl.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am

Ocean is sooooo pretty!!! I know that most people think that cinnamons and pineapples are pretty - and I am not saying they are not!- but I find the pale beak unattractive compared to the black one and I prefer darker colors than pale ones [I've never been a 'pastel' kind of person :lol: ]

As to Irwin, I would not take him to the vet. I take ALL my new birds to the vet for a complete wellness checkup but, unless it shows something like super high bile acids, CPK or BUN, I don't take them back unless they show symptoms - I don't even take the old ones every year. The truth of the matter is that, aside from getting antibiotics, antifungals, parasiticides or anti-seizure medicines there is little else a vet can give you that would actually be any good for the bird. Of course, that is just my personal opinion, based on my personal experience and I am completely sure that every single avian vet out there will deny this. But, the way I look at it is that taking them to the vet is EXTREMELY stressful to them and, as stress kills more birds than anything else, it seems to me that giving them extra stress is the wrong way to go.

The way I look at it, if nothing was severely out of whack on the initial bloodwork, the bird is showing no symptoms and appears content PLUS it's getting enough exercise, as little stress as possible under the circumstances [captivity!], a good, fresh food diet, a solar schedule and, if the bird's condition and/or advanced age require it, natural supplements nothing else can be done for it so taking him to the vet is actually more detrimental than helpful.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 pm

The deciding factor may be his band. I HATE seeing a band on a leg that fragile. From what I’ve read it’s pretty common for hooded parrots to have problems with the bands, resulting in loss of the foot.

When I had him examined last year, I still didn’t technically own him, so the vet didn’t want to remove the band.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 am

You can always cut it yourself, you know... They sell tools for that in the same sites where they sell the bands -like L&M: http://lmbirdlegbands.com/bird_nets_Snap_E.html

They don't work on the stainless steel bands but he might have one made out of aluminum because, usually, smaller birds don't get the stainless steel ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 am

I washed a wire cutter and removed Rainbows band long ago. I kept it but with his foot problem I did not want anything to irritate them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 am

I think it’s aluminum, but it’s long. More like a sleeve than a ring. I’ll try to get a picture.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:10 am

I would try the band cutter. They are not really that expensive so, even if it doesn't quite work -and I don't see why it wouldn't!- it would not be as if you had wasted a lot of money.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm

There was a green budgie at my feeders today. It flew off very well when I approached. I’ve been staking out the feeders alecer since. It’s supposed to get down to 35 tonight.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care