Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 07, 2020 8:30 am

Try making birdy bread. Whole grain flours (wheat, millet, spelt, corn, etc) are still available (at least, by me) as well as steel-cut oats, sorghum and wheat (tell your girlfriend to look in the International section, where the West Indian, Jamaican and Goya products are) and, if you add things like pureed pumpkin (the kind they sell for pumpkin pie but not the pumpkin pie mix, the plain pureed pumpkin), sweet potatoes, grated carrots, corn (from a can but thoroughly drained), peas, even chopped greens (like the frozen broccoli rabe, thawed, of course), it comes out very close in nutrition to what the gloop is.

Also, try Barryfarm.com. They charge an arm and a leg for the shipping and it's not fast but they are still selling grains. And Amazon.com under whole grains bulk.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 am

I was just using my iron (it had been my daughter’s for her dorm room) and it looks like it has a Teflon coating. I have had this iron for a year and a half and never noticed.
That stuff is everywhere.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 am

Yes, it is! I have gotten rid of all the pots that had it, started using a French press instead of a 'regular' coffee machine and got a toaster that doesn't have it but, as far as I can tell, there are no irons without it (although there used to be) and what I do is wait until all the birds are in their cages and iron in my bedroom with the door closed (not that I iron that much anymore ;) .
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri May 08, 2020 12:04 pm

I was ironing my cotton face mask to kill whatever might be on it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 09, 2020 8:35 am

Spray it with alcohol and microwave it, instead.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am

The seed mix I use for my hooded parrot is no longer available (Dr Harvey’s).

Do you use the ABBA budgie/parakeet mix, Bea? I can get that.

I still have TOPS pellets for him. He was on a pellet diet at the rescue, so I know he’ll eat them if I don’t have his seed mix, I was just giving him seeds because he’s a grass keet and it seemed more natural.

He’s not getting his regular gloop right now. It’s just veggies, fruits, and Navy beans.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 am

I’m going to have to go to Whole Foods To get the grains, at some point. I’ve been trying to wait out the worst of this, but I haven’t left the house since the beginning of March.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 10, 2020 10:11 am

Yes, I use ABBA 1600 (budgie mix) for my GCCs and my caiques. I like it a lot and the birds do very well on it because it's made of grass seeds mostly.

I hear you on the not going out since the beginning of March! I went out the week before last, on Tuesday, to the supermarket. I was there for the 'senior' hour (from 6 to 7:30 am - got there at 6:10 am and there was no line to get in and very few people inside) and was very pleased at how well organized everything was at the supermarket: one way arrows on all aisles with marks on the floor every 6 ft, three cash registers dedicated to seniors only, disinfectant wipes all over the place, plastic guards on all places where they tended to people directly, computer pre-ordering for deli and butcher and a designated place to pick up, etc. There was even a police officer at the door making sure everybody was wearing a face mask (it's obligatory here in Jersey), that people were keeping social distancing and that nobody was cutting the line... And I was all covered :lol: had a hood tied around my face, a surgical mask on my face, long sleeves and gloves and, as soon as I came back home, took all my clothes off and put them to wash just in case - so far, so good.

But you have small species so you can make a gloop of small grains that you can find in the supermarket - like basmati brown rice, steel cut oatmeal, lentils, farro, millet, quinoa, wild rice, etc. It might not be what they are used to but they will eat it and like it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 am

Do you freeze seed when you get it? I’ve always frozen new seed for 48 hours to kill any moth activity. I’m not sure if it’s necessary or even effective.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 17, 2020 7:54 am

No, I don't freeze seeds. I once read that the freezing process messes up the fat cells and, in all honesty, pantry moths don't bother me at all. Once in a blue moon I get some during the warm weather months but all I do is just take the cocoons out (they are always found at the corners of the containers) and kill the adult ones (they are very slow-moving and easy to kill) because, even if the seeds had a pupa or two left in there, they are good protein. There are also pantry-moth 'traps' which are not really traps but something with pheromones to attract them and that stops their reproduction.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care