Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I could only find a bottle of toasted sesame seeds. The others there were black sesame seeds. I kind of feel like the black version of things is always bad for birds. Black bean, etc.

I bought the bottle of toasted sesame seeds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 am

I get them from bird stores but they sell them online, too. In any case, I checked and it seems that the methionine content is pretty much the same of the raw and dried ones so you are good. You can always add a bit of methionine from a capsule to her gloop -I do this every day because of the liver benefits it has.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:12 am

The birds love the quinoa
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 am

:lol: Yes, they do! It's the high protein in it, I think!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:08 am

Has anyone ever used featherific? I see people raving about it, which makes me think it's snake oil.

Also, had anyone ever used a feather duster for a plucker?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 am

No, I haven't used Featheriffic nor do I recommend anybody using it and I'll tell you why: it has iron [I don't like anything for birds that has iron added to it], it has a minimum of a whooping 22% fat! [nuff said!] - the good thing in it is the Omega 3 but you are already feeding flax seed for it. It's nothing but flax seeds, rice bran [and I can't think of a single good reason to feed it to a bird!] and sorghum [which is OK and I don't really have a problem with but I would choose a better source of protein], with man-made vitamins and minerals. A bird that has a good diet will not do well on this for the long term.

Birds on a good diet do not really need anything extra for growing feathers... I do give mine some extra protein in the form of hemp seeds, insect protein and more nuts but I also feed them very low protein during the winter so the increase in protein is more to reproduce the different seasons in terms of diet than anything else, and people who feed the same amount of protein all year round don't need to feed their birds extra UNLESS they have been feeding low protein all along.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:37 am

I'm actually not feeding flax seed. I'm doing the regular gloop, with quinoa added, and sesame seeds when i remember, which isn't often I also add fruit, and corn on the cob. I can add flax seed. Maybe the flax seed is in the grain mix in the gloop?

Nicky just keep pulling out down feathers. His Bornovirus test was negative, not that that means much. I never gave him the gabapenten.

Sometimes I wonder about my full spectrum lamps. He seems calmer when they're off. I have them on 0900-1500 right now. I do 1000-1400 in the winter.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 am

My Sophie is molting right now and she is quite uncomfortable -she even flew down to my shoulder this morning without my asking her to and immediately put down her head for me to preen her pinnies- so maybe Nicky is going through that, too.

If you are using the Kashi, it doesn't have flax seeds although it does have some sesame. I always put flax seeds in their gloop -excellent source of omega 3 for them!

Try not using the full spectrum for a while and see what happens. I am all for experimenting...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:26 am

I think these two birds may be plucking because they want to get to each other. Nicky is talking to, and displaying for ocean, as Ocean chews her feet.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 am

Hmmmm, I don't think so but, who knows? - anything is possible!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care