Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:34 pm

I don't know what you can do if the bird stops eating. I think she wasn't pooping because she wasn't eating much. She was tossing the food around, but if I scooped it all back up, not much was gone. Her crop was empty when she went in, and on Sunday. She at a tiny bit on her own on Monday.

They gave her subcutaneous fluids in addition to the tube feeding (according to the bill)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:16 pm

I don't know, Navre, we could discuss possibilities from now until the next ice age and still be no closer to an understanding of everything that might have possibly gone wrong. Did any of the vets entrusted with her care make mistakes? I don't know, but then again with all that we don't know about parrots it is very possible Could any of the mistake have ended up costing her life? Maybe.

But even though I dislike doctors or vet, same, same to me, I can't help but to recognize that she has been fighting for her life for a very long time and I know that the fight was draining her. My disability is not considered to be life threatening but it does require a high dosage of narcotics just to ease the pain a little and since I have been on these drugs for several years, I feel drained much of the time and it is not getting any easier. What no one is looking at in this, that I can tell, is that she may very well have decided that enough was enough and that she was just too tired to keep fighting it. I know that at some point, I will reach such a state. I have seen this happen with animals before and know that if she reached that point then there is nothing that any doctor can do to keep them alive. I do not know that this played much of a role in her passing, but as I said earlier, I had noted that there was a certain spark or light that was missing from the one video that you had posted before she passed, so I knew that I would be hearing of her passing and that it would be within a very short time as it was. This is something that I really don't like talking about much because it can make it seem as if I am not pulling for the bird and that I have given up on it, but that is not the case and the few times that I was present when I saw the light go out, we intensified our efforts to prevent the passing to no avail. But all I am saying is that sometimes we or they are ready to go, that we don't want to fight it any longer.

I and Tanya both know how much you loved her and as hard as it sounds that may have been what she needed to know so that she could let go. I am so sorry that she passed and for the hole that it has opened in you and your life. I understand what you are going through because I have been there too and am very much distraught about her passing myself. I am right back to square one everytime I allow myself to think of her and the things that she endured in the time that I have known of her.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:36 am

Navre wrote:She did poop once she was gavage fed.

The main thing I'm looking for with the necropsy is infectious disease. She did have an elevated WBC.

Well, an total elevated white cell count doesn't necessarily mean infection... If all they did was that then there is no way to know now which type of white cells were elevated because one type reacts mostly to infection while others react to inflammation, parasites, allergies, tumors and even neurological problems. Liver failure causes white cell count to go up, for example...

But, in any case, even if they do find some infection, I doubt it's contagious... most likely she got it because her immune system could not cope with even the minimum exposure to pathogens.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:56 am

Wolf wrote: I and Tanya both know how much you loved her and as hard as it sounds that may have been what she needed to know so that she could let go. I am so sorry that she passed and for the hole that it has opened in you and your life. I understand what you are going through because I have been there too and am very much distraught about her passing myself. I am right back to square one everytime I allow myself to think of her and the things that she endured in the time that I have known of her.

Between the Rescue's FB page, my own, the adopted Parronts page for the rescue, the Crazy Bird Lady page, I'm forgetting what I've posted where, so I amy have already said this, but both Sunday and Monday, I did tell her that if she had had enough, if it was too much, then it was okay to go. I know she was tired.

I am 50 years old, I have lost parents, grandparents, dogs, cats, birds. Given my job, I have had many people, old, young, etc, die in front of me, even in my arms, but this has hit me harder than I expected. I knew Tanya was sick when I adopted her. It doesn't matter. She was so sweet, and so special, and her life was tragic, yet she was as sweet and as tolerant as any bird ever could be.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:01 am

I understand you perfectly, John. I love all my animals but the sick ones touch my heart in a special way, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Navre wrote:
Wolf wrote: I and Tanya both know how much you loved her and as hard as it sounds that may have been what she needed to know so that she could let go. I am so sorry that she passed and for the hole that it has opened in you and your life. I understand what you are going through because I have been there too and am very much distraught about her passing myself. I am right back to square one everytime I allow myself to think of her and the things that she endured in the time that I have known of her.

Between the Rescue's FB page, my own, the adopted Parronts page for the rescue, the Crazy Bird Lady page, I'm forgetting what I've posted where, so I amy have already said this, but both Sunday and Monday, I did tell her that if she had had enough, if it was too much, then it was okay to go. I know she was tired.

I am 50 years old, I have lost parents, grandparents, dogs, cats, birds. Given my job, I have had many people, old, young, etc, die in front of me, even in my arms, but this has hit me harder than I expected. I knew Tanya was sick when I adopted her. It doesn't matter. She was so sweet, and so special, and her life was tragic, yet she was as sweet and as tolerant as any bird ever could be.

All I can say is I understand and that I agree with you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 am

I don't know why but loosing a baby such as a bird can really weigh on me more than loosing a person.
Lola just left me with no warning. I know how much you are hurting. I told my Momma what you told her that it was okay to go on. I did not get a chance to do a last tweet with Lola.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:04 pm

I got the results back from Tanya's necropsy. She had chronic, active hepatitis, and moderate liver disease. She did have a type of white blood cell in the spleen that indicates chronic inflammation and/or cancer, but they saw no evidence of cancer in her anywhere else. Her tumors were fat, not TB. There was nothing contagious. Dr. Simone-Freilicher said that the way she progressed was consistent with a body just shutting down due to years of liver disease.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm forgetting the wording, but they saw no immediate precipitating event that led to her death. It was a chronic.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am

I picked up her ashes today. They're in a nice cedar box with a lock. I'm glad they're in something nice.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care