Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Tue May 14, 2019 2:11 pm

I actually think my turquoise GCC looks a lot like the female hooded parrot, she’s just bigger. But the general color is what I remember.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am

Wow, Nicky picked a part of a lower branch that is about the same diameter as the higher one I have taken out.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am

The newly chosen branch is of the same diameter as the 'small' one he used to like? Because he might be choosing them precisely because of the 'circular' nail - and no, I don't think that a sweet feet would help with that,. you'll have to trim it,
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am

There is a traveling vet in my area that the rescue has been using, too. I think the shorter the car ride for Nicky, the better. No car ride would seem to be the best. I can’t trim thy nail myself.

Using Doctor Rod will make vet visits less stressful. I’ve stopped doing yearly visits. If the bloodwork was good, I suspect it will not get worse, and could only get better with a proper diet. I don’t know the age of Nicky, or Irwin, but a vet can’t change age. Age is what it is. Irwin was not well cared for and has a deformed sternum, but nothing can really be done for it. His I take bloodwork Ws okay, I think, and his first vet visit with me was okay. I do t see the point of him going to the vet unless I see a problem.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 16, 2019 8:26 am

I agree 100%. That's also what I do, first exam to see what I am dealing with and, once I get the diet and supplements decided for the rest of their lives, I only take them to the vet if I see something or if they are very old. It makes no sense to stress them out for things you cannot change and once the conditions (light schedule, diet, supplements, etc) are good, all you have to do is just keep at it because, as you say, whatever harm was done by the previous bad husbandry, it's being undone - it might take years but it always goes in the right direction.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am

Having trouble with the longer days. I’ve been pretty sick and I just can’t wake up to screaming birds at sunrise. It’s too early. They’ll squawk until they get their gloop and fruits, so I can’t sleep in and ignore them. Even then, I just can’t take the stress of the noise. I have never wished for winter in my life. I’ve never covered these birds. It would probably be very stressful for them, but this has been very stressful to me. I take a lot of drugs to sleep at night, and if I try to get up too early, I’m too woozy. I have fallen badly, I’m afraid of cutting my finger off trying to cut up an apple or strawberry. I’m not really sure what to do.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sat May 18, 2019 6:02 am

At a time of day when you are the strongest and mentally alert, prefab their food. Make up 3 days of gloop and store in snack bags in the coldest part of your refrigerator. You can float a pack in hot water to get it at a good temp before serving. Fresh fruit and vegies loose nutrition starting from the time it is picked. Use frozen. It is packed and frozen within hours of picking. While still frozen put three days of veggies in snack bags and refreese. Flout in hot water to thaw.

It is the only way to get mine fed early. I can be drinking my coffee when floating packets.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sat May 18, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks for the advice, Liz. I I used to put gloop in silicone muffin tins. I’d freeze about a months worth. Every night I’d take 3 out, put them in a bowl, and they’d thaw overnight. Right now I am just adding rice to frozen vegetables and fruits. Stuff like bananas and apples get added. I also add navy beans. I can add that stuff later in the day when I’m sane. It’s just hard to get up at sunrise and do anything. I used to have no problem.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Yes, getting up real early is hard! I am getting up at 5 am now but, in the summer, I get up at 4 am but that's because I need to have all the dogs and cats done before I do the birds so the cats are locked in their room and the dogs are all taking their morning nap and I can devote all my attention to the birds. And, yes, it's hard because I can only go so early to bed as I can't make the dogs wait too many hours to go out. But, Liz is right. The best thing to do is to clean the cages and take the water and food bowl out when they are going to sleep and have everything ready from the night before and waiting next to each cage so all you have to do is get up, put the food in and go back to sleep. Would the birds shut up if you feed them or do they still make loud noises?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat May 18, 2019 4:19 pm

They’ll make noise all morning, as long as there is dawn light. I am just so drugged kit that early in the morning. It was bad in January, but it’s so much worse getting up this much earlier. It isn’t that I don’t know what to do, or how to make it easier (I always take the food out the night before), it’s just that I’m not capable at that hour. Also, the noise is a problem. It’s just a bad mix of drugs right now. I’m either stoned or jumpy.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care