Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby liz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 am

Stand there and drink. The only thing they fear is being touched.

I posted in Rainbow Myrtle and Cockatiels earlier. It was easy to give Andy his meds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:27 am

I had a mobile vet service come out and see all 3 birds. Nicky reacted to this much better. No plucking. It’s all the time in Boston traffic that stresses us both.

Nicky is 270 grams. Too skinny, but up a bit since June of ‘18.
Ocean is 70 grams, up from 66. She’s a good weight. I can tell by handling her. She’s small for a GCC.
Irwin is 40 grams. That’s about what he’s been. He’s in beautiful feather. He can’t fly, but he has a deformed sternum. I think I remember Paj saying that those birds that get beat to starvation often never regain a robust weight.

Still haven’t heard back about bloodwork. I’m assuming it it were bad, I’d have heard. Nicky’s kidney function was borderline last time, but he may have been dehydrated because it was afternoon and he had managed to get his wing stuck in a cage bar, so this blood draw was in the morning. I have to prod the vet for the results, again.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:12 am

Well, they are all doing VERY well if you ask me! And yes, I know that, sometimes, it sounds as if I am telling people not to take their birds to the vet which is NOT the case but, in truth, some vet visits do more harm than good because of all the stress the bird goes through - then you don't even get real results on the bloodwork! I am sure that Nicky's kidney values are normal. And I would not worry too much about getting the results in a hurry, I am sure that if they had found something bad, they would have called you already.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:27 pm

All the bloodwork from everyone was good. Most values were near perfect. Same thing with the fecals. Nicky has cholesterol of 305, with 300 being the top of normal. He said it wasn’t worth medicating, or retesting. He said to keep up the good diet, and it would come down if it were going to come down. He said that both liver values were good, so he was not at all worried about a cholesterol snapshot. His crit was 53%. That’s high-normal, too, but again he thought it was nothing to worry about right now. He recommended an herbal mix with milk thistle. He recommended retesting in 2 years. He didn’t think it was worth stressing him sooner than that.

Irwin was up to 47g. I think he was 42g at intake. I’m glad he’s been able to gain some weight. The vet agreed with you, Paj, that birds who were near starvation (Irwin’s mate actually did starve,) seem to forever remain underweight. He said he knew of no study that confirmed this, but his observations seemed to back it up. Other vets thought the same thing. It’s one of those things that everyone knows, even though it’s yet to be “proven.” You probably don’t want them trying to prove it, anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Nephthytis Syngonium Podophyllum

I can’t find this on the safe or poisonous plant list. It’s Pink Arrowhead.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am

If it's this one:
https://garden.org/plants/view/660982/A ... -Allusion/

it's toxic to dogs and cats so I would not use it for the birds.

Try increasing the amount of oat groats and adding artichokes and the tiniest bit of red yeast rice powder to Nicky's gloop.

And yes, observation is all we have when it comes to the inability to regain a good weight level after suffering starvation but I would not put it beyond scientists to actually starve animals to death so they can learn from the process. Humans seems to have a never-ending capacity for cruelty without suffering a single conscience pang...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:59 am

That’s what I was afraid of.

Most of the plants that I know are safe seem to be higher-light plants.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 am

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:21 am

Awwww, Ocean is looking wonderfully healthy and happy! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu May 07, 2020 6:43 am

I’m still not leaving the house, so I’m out of the grains for the gloop. I make and freeze the grain/lentil mix and add the veggies and a fruit in the morning. I used the last of the grains yesterday.

I’m sure the birds will be fine. I have TOPS pellets, corn, peas, carrots, navy beans, broccoli, and one more sweet potato.

They also usually get a nutriberry most days. Ocean also gets an occasional pistachio. Irwin has his seed mix.

(Last time my girlfriend stood in line to get into Whole Foods, all the bulk grains were gone when she got in there, so I’m not going to try that again.)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care