Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I would not consider taking a single budgie in the hope it would become a companion to a conure... As to same sex companions... well, it works just fine, actually, BUT it needs to be THEIR choice. I have a same-gender pair that love each other and even have sex with each other during breeding season and I've had quite a number of other 'non-traditional' pairings -not only the same sex but also threesomes- which were very happy together but, again, it was something they did on their own.

I meant that a single budgie would become a companion to me, or to people, rather than being an aviary bird like he is now.

Aviary birds are not happy as lone companions to humans, they need other birds of their species to be happy -that's what makes the difference between an aviary bird and a companion one. The relationship works for the human but it never does for the bird.

That's good to know. I have seen budgies that seemed pretty happy with their human, but most seem to be in pairs or groups.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:28 am

When Ocean, my GCC flies onto Nick's cage, I'll say "Hey" or "Get off of there." But Nick will sometimes say "Bad Girl...You're a bad girl." He has never heard that phrase from me, but he knows I'm aggravated, and he knows that sometime in his past, he would hear that when others were aggravated. It's amazing how he responds appropriately to things.

Before the rescue, Nick lived with Tanya, a Female Hispanolian Amazon, and Shane, a female Greenwing Macaw. I guess they were bad girls, sometimes! I guessing it was Shane. My Tanya would never have been "bad!"

Nick also asks, "Gregory, Is that you?" If i get another male bird, I should name him Gregory!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes, cognitive speech in animals is truly AMAZING, isn't it? I am always in awe of them whenever one of them hits the nail on the head so accurately when it comes to something they say. And I agree on both your comments, he must have heard it in his previous life and now he is using it because the situation 'calls' for it - and I would also consider calling another bird (or a dog or a cat :D ) Gregory!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:15 am

Ocean keeps flying on to Nick's cage. When nick is in the cage, he will click his beak, smack some toys Around and then go after her, if I havent gotten to her before then. When he is out on top of the cage, he still moves toward her in an aggressive posture.

When ocean is on her own cage, Nick moves over as close as he can, and sometimes even seems to be displaying for her.

There is no way introduce them in a different spot. Nick still won't step up or sit anywhere else.
Last edited by Navre on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:45 pm

You will have to allow time to do its magic and keep your eyes peeled in the meantime...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Ocean is actually ecoke more and more difficult. She flies from curtain rod to curtain rod. I can't let her out at all if I have an appointment, because it can literally take an hour or more to get her back into the cage. She is not at all food motivated. There is nothing she values more than her freedom.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:56 am

My aunt calls Myrtle "bad bird" even when she is doing nothing wrong. She is the most stubborn person in the world and I can't make her stop. Myrtle is so confused that I pick her up and tell her she is a "good good girl" or "pretty pretty girl". Myrtle has started paying her back by pulling tricks on her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Navre wrote:Ocean is actually ecoke more and more difficult. She flies from curtain rod to curtain rod. I can't let her out at all if I have an appointment, because it can literally take an hour or more to get her back into the cage. She is not at all food motivated. There is nothing she values more than her freedom.

Yes, I have the same problem with a couple of them, Zoey Senegal and Peachy Lovie. Zoey keeps flying from one end of the house to the other and I end up spending half an hour or more running like a chicken without a head from one room to another trying to get her to stay on my finger after she steps up (she ALWAYS steps up but, as soon as I start walking toward her cage, she takes off like a bat out of hell!). Peachy, on the other hand, pops up from behind the curtains where he hides and chirps when I call his name so I always know where he is but he flies up to the curtain rods where I cannot reach him -it's now 12:45 pm and he is still out even though all the others just went back into their cages for their noon rest.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Nick got a hold of Ocean today. He grabbed her and they both ended up falling to the floor. She took off and hit the wall and fell down behind a hutch. She must have crawled underneath, because I couldn't find her for 20 minutes. She seems okay. Maybe she will stay off his cage, now.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:14 am

It is so funny to hear a word or phrase that Rainbow used many years ago before me. It comes out of nowhere and is always surprising. He holds them in his "mental file cabinet" and uses them when it is the right time. Sometimes it is so funny that I have to apologize to her for laughing.

Cockatiels are so small that I am afraid of hurting them by catching them. I have a large butterfly net that I use if they get under or behind something that I cannot reach. I do not suggest this with an unbonded bird and human. I only used this method on the ones who were just hiding from me to keep me going. They even expect to see the net and prepare themselves.

Myrtle is the worst at trying to make her do something she does not want to. I have put her food and water in her cage to draw her in. She will go all day without eating rather than go in a cage with doors. If the doors have been removed she will play in her cage. I have used the net on her when she has a vet appointment. I think she can read my mind and knows when I am planning something that she does not want involved in.

Last week when Charles sprayed the house for bugs he sealed off the cockatiel room. I blocked their vent and opened their window for air with the ceiling fan circulating the fresh air. It was the only safe room and I put Rainbow in her big cage in with the cockatiels. Myrtle senced what was going on and would not come to me. It took two of us to trap her in the bathroom and a towel to pick her up when she landed. I don't like using a towel but there are times that I can't let her have her way. She was put in her cage and added to the Cockatiel room for safety. I over fed everything and left them for 24 hours while cleaning after spraying. When I went for Rainbow she stepped up while telling me that it was not right to leave her that long. Myrtle did not want to step up. I could not let her come out on her own since she was in the Cockatiel room and as bad as Flutter making everyone fly. She just started speaking to me again yesterday. The girl can hold a crudge.

This post is too long but the first contact of the day is always lengthy.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care