Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Awww, so cute... And, yes, he must have learned it from him - they do learn words and phrases from each other.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:44 am

Wolf wrote:Grey's are very smart as you probably have noticed. Kookooloo does the same peeeep or beep noises as Nickey, she can also speak very clearly when she wants to. Sometimes in the evening or when ever she thinks that I am the only one around she does a lot of talking that is just quiet enough that I can't actually make out the words, but can tell that they are words and she will string them together sometimes in different ways until she is satisfied with whatever she is saying. It really sounds like someone talking to themselves.

Rambo came to me with a lot to say. I took him because I did not want him sold and passed around. Even as a child I believed that critters had emotions too. I did not count on that they think about their surrounding and their humans.
The first week with us he gave us a crash course in Rambo. One day I heard him talking softly. I peaked around the corner and saw him lookng out the window and practicing his words. When I laughed he whirled around and yelled "DON'T YOU EVER EVER EVER" scare him again.
He does not talk non stop anymore but when he does he expects me to listen and answer him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:21 am

Nick and Ocean seem to want to interact. They both sit on the top of their cages, and Nick will get as close as he can to her cage. For the past few days, Ocean has been flying to Nick's cage and landing on the perch. It's a play-top cage, with a high perch and a low perch. Each time she has gone there, he has been on the high perch, and she landed on the low perch. He doesn't attack, but he does fluff himself up. He is usually quiet, but occasionally makes that "peep" that timnehs seem to make.

I don't let Ocean stay on Nicks cage. I chase her off as soon as I can. She's a very good flyer (I think she was trained by hummingbirds), and Nick flies with all the grace and skill of a wet cardboard box, so I think she can avoid him if she has to, but I'm still worried about letting them get too close.

I don't see any signed of hostility when they are out of the cage. Nick actually seems interested in getting her attention. I'm just scared to let it happen because of the size difference.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:35 am

I'm still making very little progress with taming Nick. He is happy, he loves peace and quiet. But he doesn't have much interest in stepping up, or being touched. He comes out, he plays, he takes treats and toys, but most of the day he sits quietly by himself. I've never seen a quieter, more sedate bird.
I did once have a budgie named Marcel. I named him Marcel because he never made a sound. He would only chirp if he heard an electric razor, or the song Truckin', by the Grateful Dead. He was an active little guy, though.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:32 am

That's pretty much a normal non-hormonal gray behavior, John. Pookey is now not normal but, when she was and Sophie who, thankfully, it's still normal do the same thing. Sophie is much more social than Pookey ever was but, although she would fly to my shoulder or ask me for Up Up and enjoy a good head scratching session, most of the time, she would much rather be by herself, chilling and just looking around and enjoying having people nearby but not touching her or pestering her.

I would allow them to perch near each other and just keep a vigilant eye on both of them. My grays never attacked another bird, smaller or bigger. In my personal experience, grays are extremely tolerant birds when it comes to cohabiting with different species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:11 am

We have a lot of birds at the rescue. I am thinking of taking a small aviary-type bird. I was going to take the most beautiful budgie I have ever seen, but the hope for a single budgie would for him to be a companion bird. I'm afraid that might upset the applecart, here.

There is an older (13+), brown throat conure. She absolutely loves me, and she is a sweet bird. I just don't think two female conures are going to get along. (Age of the bird is at least 13. She flew into someone's house 12 years ago. That makes her at least 13, but she could be 23)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:18 am

I would not consider taking a single budgie in the hope it would become a companion to a conure... As to same sex companions... well, it works just fine, actually, BUT it needs to be THEIR choice. I have a same-gender pair that love each other and even have sex with each other during breeding season and I've had quite a number of other 'non-traditional' pairings -not only the same sex but also threesomes- which were very happy together but, again, it was something they did on their own.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Pajarita wrote:I would not consider taking a single budgie in the hope it would become a companion to a conure... As to same sex companions... well, it works just fine, actually, BUT it needs to be THEIR choice. I have a same-gender pair that love each other and even have sex with each other during breeding season and I've had quite a number of other 'non-traditional' pairings -not only the same sex but also threesomes- which were very happy together but, again, it was something they did on their own.

I meant that a single budgie would become a companion to me, or to people, rather than being an aviary bird like he is now.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Pajarita wrote:I would not consider taking a single budgie in the hope it would become a companion to a conure... As to same sex companions... well, it works just fine, actually, BUT it needs to be THEIR choice. I have a same-gender pair that love each other and even have sex with each other during breeding season and I've had quite a number of other 'non-traditional' pairings -not only the same sex but also threesomes- which were very happy together but, again, it was something they did on their own.

LOL
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Navre wrote:

I meant that a single budgie would become a companion to me, or to people, rather than being an aviary bird like he is now.

Aviary birds are not happy as lone companions to humans, they need other birds of their species to be happy -that's what makes the difference between an aviary bird and a companion one. The relationship works for the human but it never does for the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care