Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 am

Pajarita wrote:I have (so far) been able to get my birds to accept one another (I am still working on Freddy, Linus and Pookey though) but, if I were you, I would adopt a female little one (Ocean been a boy, right?) so the chance of them not only accepting one another but actually bonding is higher. It doesn't even have to be another GCC, it can be any of the pyrrhuras or even a small aratinga.

Ocean is a female, but the point is the same.

We have a male Jenday, but he doesn't like me. We also have a Sunday and a Sun, both sex unknown. It's usually the Greys that try to pick me, and almost always females. We do have a CAG, supposed male right now, who loves me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed May 18, 2016 6:33 am

My Greencheek keeps hiding from me. She flys off either at, or to other people, but she is always running and hiding from me right now.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 am

My son is my Greencheek's favorite person. He has left for Army duty at Fort Campbell KY, and then he's headed overseas. He should be home in Sept, at least that is the current plan.

I worry that the bird is going to get really upset. As it is, right now, she is very hand shy of me. I think it's because I am usually the one who has to get her when she has to go back into the cage, or get put into the travel cage.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue May 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Well, I suspect that she will get much better with you simply because you will now be the one to get her for more of the fun bird things that she wants to do. There is a chance that she might go into a light depression when your son goes away, but it should pass quickly and may not even be all that noticeable, because she knows and does trust you. The more time that you spend with her the more she will come to trust you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 am

Rambo claimed my daughter as his/her 1st person. When she took a job that took her out of state on week day he would ask for her a lot. I told him she went bye bye. After a few weeks he would ask me if she was bye bye. I was claimed as 1st person when she was not home and demoted when she came back.

When my Momma died, of course Rambo did not understand. He searched the house calling "Grandma" for many days. I finally got through to him that she went bye byes. I have had to remind him over the years that she is bye bye. Every once in a while he still calls her. He does not understand why she is on such a long be bye.

Your bird can learn to accept bye bye as the reason he cannot find his human. When your son is back he will be very happy. He will accept you as 1st person while your son is gone since he will learn that your son will be back.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:15 am

Navre wrote:My son is my Greencheek's favorite person. He has left for Army duty at Fort Campbell KY, and then he's headed overseas. He should be home in Sept, at least that is the current plan.

I worry that the bird is going to get really upset. As it is, right now, she is very hand shy of me. I think it's because I am usually the one who has to get her when she has to go back into the cage, or get put into the travel cage.

Yep, I agree with you, John. Most likely, she will be upset when he leaves again. And, again, most likely, she is hand shy with you because you are the 'meanie' who puts her where she doesn't want to go. If I were you, I would start doing some intense bonding with her daily so she would not be that disappointed when he leaves again. As to her been hand-shy... well, what I would do is make the out-of-cage time longer and put her back in her cage when she is either tired (like at noon when they rest) or hungry and only after an intense loving session.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:40 pm

For the last three or four nights, Ocean keeps waking me up by making noise at night. Odd squawking noises she doesn't make during the day. I can't see her, but once I say something, she usually stops. But she'll do it several times throughout the night.
I don't notice any noises or anything that might be disturbing her. Usually when she get disturbed at night, she just rings her bell.
I know we have a mouse running around her room. I didn't know if a mouse could be bugging her. I've been covering her so it will be darker, plus she usually sleeps inside a rolled-up seagrass mat, so I don't think she could be seeing anything.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 pm

She is having a night mare about something she remembers. When you talk to her you wake her up and save her from whatever was in the night mare.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:17 am

It's happening several times every night, though.

I wonder if it's due to higher hormone levels, or her favorite person not being around.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:33 am

While I would not rule out the depression caused by her chosen human not being there as part of the reason for these sounds, neither would I rule out that the mouse is to blame for most of this. Your bird may not be able to see the mouse but she can still hear it. I Know that often with humans being able to hear something but not seeing it can make it become more threatening and although I don't know that this holds true for birds I suspect that it does.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care