Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am

Try giving them dry yucca, the budgies and tiels LOVE those 'kabobs' with a passion!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 am

I came home last night, after dark, from my day at the rescue. Nicky's cage was open in two places and Ocean's chop bowl door was opened.

Looks to me like Nicky opened up the food bowl door, and then opened his main door from the outside. He probably opened Ocean's chop bowl door from the outside, too.

These "New Locks" on the Kings Cages are pretty bad. The cant just be closed, the have to turn all the way to "Lock" or a smart bird can easily get out.

We have a two-year-old Scarlett at the rescue who escapes his cage every time one of the 5 doors with those locks (4 food bowls and a breeder door) is not left on lock. He then opens all the doors from the outside. We watched him do it on security camera. He simply reaches his beak through the bars and pushes the latch in. The doors all look closed and latched, but it they are not turned to lock, they are useless.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am

:lol: Houdinis at work!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am

Sweetie Cockatiel would hold open the cage door so Bubba could go out. Most of the time she would not open it to let him back in.

Lovebird Tweetle Dee use to open his door and come out to do a dance that I could not get him. By the time I got to him he was back in land pretending "I know nothing".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 am

Here is a pretty good picture of Nicky.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 am

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 am

AWWWWW, he looks good and happy, John! And, let me tell you that your birds are GOOD because that display cabinet with... what are they? shot glasses? would not last two days in my house! I had a wonderful collection of cats and all the ones made out of wood have 'died' a long time ago courtesy of Isis. Plus, last week, they knocked down one of my museum-quality replicas of pre-Colombian Incan pottery and it smashed into smithereens! I was so upset when I saw it that I almost cried because it's one of those things you can't replace...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 am

My son has 3 of those shot-glass cabinets in there kitchen. We traveled pretty extensively when he was little, so he collected glasses from all over the country (and now all over Europe.)

Ocean loves to perch on the one across the room that you can not see here. She has never damaged it, but it's the first place she flies to.

Nicky never flies. He stays where he's put, unless he gets on to the floor. He explores and chews anything that's on the floor. I put boxes down so he gravitates toward them.
Last edited by Navre on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:34 am

Nicky is going to have to have his nails done. He has one that just looks too long. He's also getting them caught in rugs.

I actually think I might have the traveling vet who comes to the rescue come here to do it. He's not going to react well to it, but no travel, and me not being involved might help. I think that's the least stressful way for him.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am

But why don't you or somebody in your household do it? It's not hard at all, especially if the bird is not afraid of towels, and, as it can be done quite quickly, it's not that much stress for them... I am going to do Nadia's nails later today because she has liver damage and, although they don't grow super fast, they do grow a bit too long and weird - kind of narrow and curly.

As to the shot glasses display cabinets, I repeat, your birds are GOOD! I live in a constant battle to maintain the house looking 'normal'. Isis and Davy Redbelly are both terribly naughty birds! Isis chews the edges of the doors, paintings frames, books and any button she can find, both the clothing kind and the electronic device ones and Davy is into EVERYTHING! I don't know if all redbellies are like that or if I just happen to have two of the naughty ones... The senegals are not that bad but they love to chew the back of my draperies - and they are not cheap to replace!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care