Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am

Oh, poor, poor thing! I bet he is so scared... If you have an extra cage, put it out there with the door open and seeds AND water [captive bred birds don't know where to get water] inside and I bet you the budgie will go in [but, of course, the feeder cannot have any seeds in it or he will eat from there].

Good luck! I will be thinking of this poor little guy now...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 am

Nicky will let me pick him up from the floor with a perch. He will walk out into the kitchen and ask to be put up on the stand. The problem is, he won't let me pick him up from the stand. He flies off and crashes into stuff. When I pick him up from the floor, he will stay on the perch until he can see his cage, and then he will fly off toward it and make a crash landing against the side of it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 am

Have you tried carrying the stand with him on it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

Pajarita wrote:Have you tried carrying the stand with him on it?

That won’t really work for that stand. The sand is a flat-top clothes drying rack with a travel cage on top and a table-top play gym on top of that. He climbs in and out of the travel cage. The intent is to acclimate him to it should he even need to go in it. He spends most of the time up on the play gym.

A attached some large plastic chain. He will climb down those to the floor when he wants to go back to his cage, I think.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:01 pm

That sounds like an elaborate apparatus you have there :D Why don't you try getting a plain old stand? You know... the kind that is a stainless steel 'plate' with a perch above it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I had one. He had no desire to go any where near it, so I donated it. I’ll have to get another one now that he is okay with being placed on things.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:04 am

:lol: That's why I save everything that is in good shape! Because parrots might not like something today but love it tomorrow and one never knows when something that is not being used might come in handy one day!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 am

I rarely give the birds pears. Organic pears usually look horrible, and I just don’t buy them. I had a pear here yesterday. I gave Nicky a piece and said, “here, have a pear.” I said it once. Once ever. Last night when he was in his usual, noisy, sunset mood, he said “I want a pear. Nicky wants a pear.”

He learns so quickly when he wants to.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 am

:lol: Of course he learned it, they LOVE pears! At least, my birds all do - I think it's the juice that does it for them. And, as they are one thing I always find in the organic section of my supermarket, they get them regularly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 am

My greencheek and my hooded parrot seem gunuinely interested in interacting. He is totally wild, and I e been warned that males are agressive and will kill mates, so I keep them apart. But she may look like a female hooded parrot to him. She’s a turquoise GCC and she’s pretty close!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care