Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 am

This flight feather looks oddly shaped to me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am

Looks normal to me - the narrowing at the top is common.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

Nicky is the smartest talker I've ever encountered. He will take words from different phrases he knows, and put them together for a sentence that is appropriate.

He also rambles on with nonsense, but he gets things right far more often than chance would dictate.

He has always said, "Hello Gregory," and "Goodnight Gregory," but today he started saying "Gregory wants to come out!" when I was ignoring his usual "Nicky wants to come out." He then told me, "Gregory is not here, but Nicky wants to come out."

I have no idea if Gregory was a bird or a person. The woman who owned Nicky also owned my Tanya, and Shane, a green wing macaw who was adopted by our facility manager. She could have had more birds. There was either a person or an animal named "Rory," too.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm

They are AMAZING and that is NO exaggeration! I am always in awe of how much they understand - even when they don't speak human!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am

Nicky just said, “You’re okay and a good boy.”

That taking two things he says and hears, and putting them together, properly, with a conjunction, to form a sentence he has probably never heard.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am

All these posts of my birds and none of my kids. This was taken in May at my Daughter’s graduation from Yale. She graduated with degrees in Medical Anthropology and Russian Literature. She is still there in Grad school. She will graduate again in May of ‘18 with her Masters in Public Health. She hates birds.

She is with my son, who is a Lieutenant in the Army. He is currently on active duty and is in the US right now. That kid speaks 7 languages. He’s fluent enough in French, Russian and Spanish that he has been a TA for college courses. He also speaks German, Arabic, and Mandarin with varying degrees of proficiency.

They’re good kids.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:19 am

There is nothing better for a parent than to have a good kid - and there is nothing worse than to have one that gives you trouble! Congrats on your kids but what a shame that your daughter hates birds! She might come around though... my husband used to dislike parrots -mostly because he is afraid of them- but he now likes some [the 'good' ones that never bite him :D ].

It seems that Nicky is another bird genius like my Sweetpea!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 am

I have pictures of her at about 2 years old. She had her grandparents' cockatiels lined up on her arms and head. She hates when the birds fly. She didn't mind Tanya, but she hates my GCC.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:06 am

Yep, my husband is the same - or used to be, at least. Birds flying over his head used to freak him out something terrible! But he has gotten used to it by now [it took years and years and years though] and he even has a favorite flying bird: Isis. She loves him and he loves her so he has learned not to mind the flying around...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:41 pm

There is a definite correlation with Nicky plucking his neck and gettin bread/muffins/pizza crusts. I wonder what causes it, but now know just to avoid it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care