Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 am

Yes, by now, they have all noticed that the days are getting longer - no doubt about that! I'm not having any problems with Codee but you can't go by her because she never gives me any trouble.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 am

Hagan now makes a soy-free Tropican pellet. It’s 15% protein. I’m hoping they start using this to make a soy-free Tropimix. The total protein would be lowered in the mix.

Nicky loves his Tropimix, and it has never seemed like a good time to switch him. He eats a lot of gloop and other fruits/vegetables all day, so he does not eat a lot of the Tropimix, anyhow.

I tell my vegan friends (they’re attracted to rescue work like gluten-free, non-GMO, fair trade moths to a low-carbon-footprint flame) about your soy stories, Paj. I don’t know that they can easily avoid it, though.

I haven’t talked to my favorite Vegan friend for a while. Now I’m sad. (My mind wanders easily right now)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am

"Gluten-free, non-GMO, fair trade moths to a low-carbon-footprint flame"? :lol: I LOVE it!

I don't believe that humans should be vegan the same way that I don't believe that parrots should be fed meat or dogs grains because I don't believe that we know more than nature but that's me. In any case, vegans don't actually have to do the 'soy' thing, there are alternatives that are also high in protein but, of course, soy is cheap and soy products are much more easily available than anything else so it's understandable that they gravitate toward it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Pajarita wrote:Happy Hatchday to you, Ocean! :danicing: :danicing: She is such a BEAUTIFUL bird! I LOVE LOVE LOVE her dark coloration!

I've always been preferred the dark beaks, too. I always liked the look of BFA over the DYH or YSA. I always liked the look of U2 over G2, etc. (Although my friend has a Cinnamon GCC who is probably the most beautiful GCC I have ever seen. He's BIG, too)

Given the choice I'd take a female mustache parakeet over a male (plus, male birds hate me).

I guess I notice that stuff less now that I've seen and worked with so many birds. I was going to try to put together a list of how many birds have come through the rescue since I've been there. I'm not in the mood to try it now, though.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

She won’t leave me. Usually she flies around when she is out.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am

It's LOVE!!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 am

Myrtle mostly stays on me even if it is hanging by one foot off the back of my shirt.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:49 am

I got a play stand tree that’s about the right size for the spot I have for it, but it has plastic perches. I think I’ll be able to replace the plastic perches by getting wood and making it the same size. There are screw holes that I can use to secure the wooden replacements.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Or, if you are able, you can also tie them with rope. My birds love rope knots...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Pajarita wrote:"Gluten-free, non-GMO, fair trade moths to a low-carbon-footprint flame"? :lol: I LOVE it!

I don't believe that humans should be vegan the same way that I don't believe that parrots should be fed meat or dogs grains because I don't believe that we know more than nature but that's me. In any case, vegans don't actually have to do the 'soy' thing, there are alternatives that are also high in protein but, of course, soy is cheap and soy products are much more easily available than anything else so it's understandable that they gravitate toward it.

I wonder why they want meat so much. Myrtle did a fly by and grabbed a piece of pepperoni off my pizza. I had an awful time catching her.
Ones before I had to take a chicken bone from her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care