Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Pajarita wrote:But why don't you or somebody in your household do it? It's not hard at all, especially if the bird is not afraid of towels, and, as it can be done quite quickly, it's not that much stress for them... I am going to do Nadia's nails later today because she has liver damage and, although they don't grow super fast, they do grow a bit too long and weird - kind of narrow and curly.

Nicky hates to be restrained. I think it might be better to have someone else do it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 am

Yes, well, I don't think any of them actually enjoys it. And, it is true that it's always best when somebody else is the 'bad guy' :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Shower Time
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am

She looks adorable! And baths are great distractions when they are hormonal! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 am

Irwin is having such a hard molt. There are so many feathers missing on his belly, plus a lot of contour feathers.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:13 am

Why don't you try a bit of milk thistle extract in his water and some methionine sprinkled on soft food? Is it normal for them to be missing feathers when molting? I know it happens with all psittaculas but I don't know about his species...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Pajarita wrote:Why don't you try a bit of milk thistle extract in his water and some methionine sprinkled on soft food? Is it normal for them to be missing feathers when molting? I know it happens with all psittaculas but I don't know about his species...

I just checked the milk thistle I had. It was expired. I’ll have to get more.

I’ll start giving him the avi-flax gold and sesame seeds, too.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 am

I caught a mouse in one of those Tin Cats. They hardly ever work but I had a mouse this morning. I put the trap in the car and drove it to the end of the street to release the thing near the pond. The mouse was gone when I opened the trap. I really hope the mouse isn’t in my car. It’s a brand new car.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 am

:lol: Sorry, I just thought it was soooo funny - you 'losing' the mouse in the car. Poor thing, I do hope he is not in the car, too!

I would get methionine capsules instead of using the seeds to provide it because, if the problem is protein metabolization, it would be better if you don't add extra protein and fat to its diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 am

I just had a memory. When my kids were very young we lived in WV out in the country. They are in their mid 40s now so it was before seat belts. While driving down an 3 mile hill, Rachel screamed and jumped into the front seat with Charles right behind her. She was screaming too much to find out from her so I asked Charles what scared her. He said "I don't know but it aint gonna get me". It was a field mouse.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care