Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 am

Because meat has a very strong umami taste which is a strong marker of high protein and parrots are all hard-wired to gorge on protein whenever and wherever they find it as it's not abundant in nature [well, for herbivores, anyway]. They also like the salty taste - and, in pepperoni, I would assume the strong spicy flavor, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

She didn't get to keep it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

Isis Redbelly is nuts for butter and she has, on occasion, stolen a small chunk which she bit off a piece of bread [my husband and I have French baguette with butter for breakfast and he is careless about his]. She is smart and, as soon as she gets a bit in her beak, she flies off to the highest spot she can find and I have to run around like a chicken without a head with a broom in my hand, telling her to "DROP IT!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:42 pm

I wrapped the top two perches with twine. It's better than the plastic, I guess.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 am

Great idea! Nice rough surface with lots of traction and a natural, untreated material that they can chew on, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 am

Pajarita wrote:Great idea! Nice rough surface with lots of traction and a natural, untreated material that they can chew on, too!

Nicky moves off the twine to stand on the plastic between the two top perches. Birds are strange.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am

They all have their preferences - no doubt about that! And, yes, some of their preferences are 'strange' :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 am

Is it the right time for a short-day breeder to be molting? Nicky is consistently losing 2-3 big feathers a day.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Sophie CAG is actually hormonal right now... she's been going to ground in the corner she favors for laying her eggs and Linus Too has been chewing up a storm! My husband had to replace boards last week and, this morning, I called him to the birdroom to show him that he had already demolished about 4 or 5 feet of them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am

I replaced the chewed up base boards in the Cockatiel room with untreated pine boards. No, they don't want them. Not one place has been chewed.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care