Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 13, 2017 11:29 am

Pookey does the same thing and that's why I am rehoming her. She gets all stressed out by the other birds perching on her cage even though the other birds don't mean her harm, they just use her cage as a perch. She has gotten better though as most of them have now learned not to do it and she is allowing the senegals to sit there without screaming (she throws a real fit when Davy perches on it and even when he is on the next cage just looking in her direction) but the progress has been way too slow and that's not good for her.

I don't know what to tell you, John. I don't really have a solution for this problem because no matter what one decides, one bird is going to be suffering...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am

It's a good thing I didn't take Pooky. She'd have been in the same situation here.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 15, 2017 10:29 am

Funny thing with Pookey is that she doesn't react the same way to every bird. She never had a problem with Codee GCC and have stopped having one with Zoey and Sweetpea Senegal, or Sunny Sun Conure but she completely freaks out when Davy is anywhere near her cage (even when he is perching on Sunny's whose cage is next to hers but with a separation of, at least, a foot between them) and does not like Isis, either. It seems she has narrowed down her fear to larger birds (and me).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Ocean had her checkup today. She went from 69 grams to 77. The vet said she felt stronger and more robust. She was in perfect health.

I did decide to clip her wings. She keeps flying off scared when the grey screeches at her. And she has hit the windows and walls hard enough to stun her several times. She has been caged far more than usual beciase of this. I'll be able to have her out more, even though she won't be flying.

It seemed like there wasn't a good solution to this.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:24 am

No, unfortunately, sometimes there just isn't a good solution because you either penalize one bird or the other... Let's hope that they get used to one another so she can get her wings back.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed May 31, 2017 12:22 pm

She gets more out of cage time this way, so that abates it some. I can't help but think that she had such a good check up because she had been flying so much.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 am

Oh, no doubt about it! Flight is super healthy for them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:09 am

She plucked herself last night, or yesterday. I think she was out of the The when she did it. Her lower belly.
Last edited by Navre on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 am

She also stopped playing with her favorite toy, and is much quieter. :(
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 am

I guess it could be breeding season relate too, but she was perfectly feathered on Tuesday when I took her to the vet and she had her wings clipped.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care