Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:07 am

OMG, John, what terrible, terrible news!!! She looked so good in the next to last picture you posted, gloopy beak, bright eyes, nice head of feathers...

What heartbreak! I am soooo sooooo sorry for your loss! You went far and beyond what anybody else would have done and I know for a fact she was happy with you. It's not really any type of consolation but please know that we are all feeling this loss right along with you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:10 am

Every time they called, they said she was doing okay. They called me at 4pm and said that she was stable, taking tube feeding well, and had gained 3 grams. I went I expecting her to be like she had been the day before, but I found her like this.

http://youtu.be/VMAEjkki2es

15 minutes after this she was laying on her side, and 2 hours later, she was gone.

They tried to kick me out at the end of visiting time, 7pm, but I said if I left I was taking her with me. There was no point to leaving here there to die alone. A doctor eventually said it was okay to stay.
Around 8:15 they kicked me out to do another exam and give a report to the avian vet. Th Doctor came out and said that they didn't have any options.

I went back in with her and was holding her. She didn't respond much. Her breathing was starting to look labored. I made the decision to have her put to sleep. It took a few minutes for them to print the paperwork, but I signed it. The vet left to get the drugs to put her down, but Tanya died before she got back. I know birds always seize a bit when they go, but it wasn't too bad. She opened her eyes and squawked a bit, and kind-of wrapped her wings down, around the hand I was holding her in. She was gone about a minute later.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:42 pm

I've never been to the Dominican Republic, but I'm thinking that her ashes should be brought back there. I don't know if she was wild caught, but given the limited breeding success of these birds, and her age, she certainly could be. Either way, she should go, "home."

There are some Hispaniolians in Puerto Rico. That might be easier.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 pm

While I will not say any thing about her going " home" as you have put it, other than to say that her home was with you, although it was not the same home where she was born, it is where her heart was.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shiraartain » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 pm

I am so, so sorry for your loss.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:00 am

Navre wrote:Every time they called, they said she was doing okay. They called me at 4pm and said that she was stable, taking tube feeding well, and had gained 3 grams. I went I expecting her to be like she had been the day before, but I found her like this.

http://youtu.be/VMAEjkki2es

15 minutes after this she was laying on her side, and 2 hours later, she was gone.

They tried to kick me out at the end of visiting time, 7pm, but I said if I left I was taking her with me. There was no point to leaving here there to die alone. A doctor eventually said it was okay to stay.
Around 8:15 they kicked me out to do another exam and give a report to the avian vet. Th Doctor came out and said that they didn't have any options.

I went back in with her and was holding her. She didn't respond much. Her breathing was starting to look labored. I made the decision to have her put to sleep. It took a few minutes for them to print the paperwork, but I signed it. The vet left to get the drugs to put her down, but Tanya died before she got back. I know birds always seize a bit when they go, but it wasn't too bad. She opened her eyes and squawked a bit, and kind-of wrapped her wings down, around the hand I was holding her in. She was gone about a minute later.

Oh, geez, John, you had me bawling like a baby! I had a few birds (thankfully, not many) die in my hands and I HATED it.

I agree with Wolf. Your home was her home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:21 am

I thought she was okay. I was filming because I wanted to be able to show her reaction when she saw me, because it was so cute. I had no idea she had gone downhill so much in the 2 hours since I had talked to the doctor.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:41 am

I haven't hear anything about the necropsy, but I'm wondering if a bad tube feeding could be part of the problem.

She was okay at 4, but had a tube feeding just after that. She regurgitated that and went downhill quickly after that.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:35 am

I didn't want to say anything but, personally, I don't like for the vet that had been treating an animal to do the necropsy because I always think that, if the animal died from something they did wrong, they are not going to be stupid enough to admit it, right?

Personally, I don't approve of gavage feeding under any circumstances. I also don't know if she did poop while at the vet but, as a rule of thumb, you never force feed an animal that is not evacuating feces.

Vets make mistakes just like anybody else... I had to put down one of my dogs last week and I have the suspicion that it was the emergency vet's fault that caused her kidney failure because she had gone for her regular annual check-up (complete bloodwork, including bile acids because she was epileptic and on phenobarbital which damages the liver) less than two months before and all her blood values were good except for her pancreatic enzymes which were slightly elevated (she was treated for that). Then, ten days after she fell down the stairs and broke her leg, she was in total renal failure to the point that, after two days of intense treatment, my vet said she was not responding and nothing else could be done - now, how can that be?! I think the emergency vet over-medicated her and old and fragile as she was, her kidneys couldn't take it.

Some vets rely too much on the 'quick' solution to problems and tend to over-treat, if you ask me - especially with birds. I would much rather take care of a problem naturally even if its slower.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:40 pm

She did poop once she was gavage fed.

The main thing I'm looking for with the necropsy is infectious disease. She did have an elevated WBC.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care