Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:58 am

Nicky, Nicky, Nicky... How can you take exception to Prada frames?! :lol:

But, seriously speaking, I doubt the problem is the glasses, I think it might be the new puppy - grays are a pain in the neck when it comes to new members to the family...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:40 am

He’s pretty good about the dog. She’s no allowed in the bird room. It involved blocking off 3 door; one with a standard gate, one with and extra-wise gate, and one 75” free-standing super-duper gate thing.
I just can’t rosj her snatching one of the Smaller birds (I watch her catch a sparrow in the chicken coop) or risk her getting one of the raisins off the floor. Nicky eats Tropimix pellets. He eats very few of the actual pellets. He mostly eats the other stuff in the mix, but he throws at least half of it and there are raisins there. I don’t know how, why, or when grapes became deadly to dogs, but I’m not taking the chance.

We had a poodle who live to be over 20. I KNOW I fed that dog grapes, a lot, I know she ate them off the ground under our neighbors vines. I know I fed her chocolate. I know I gave her pearl onions. She ate whatever I ate because she begged constantly. She and I were about the same age, so naturally I gave her some of whatever I had.
Even at 20, she died because she was pretty blind and she walked into the side of a car. That still didn’t do it. She broke a leg and it wouldn’t heal. She died in surgery as the vet was trying to remove the leg.

Someone messed up dogs. They’re not as tough as they used to be.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:29 am

You are 100% right about that, dogs used to be stronger but overbreeding and not feeding right [we used to feed dogs good meat with some rice, much healthier than Dog Chow!] will do that to a species. And, here in USA where you can get papers on a genetically defective puppy is worse... at least, in other countries, the litter needs to be examined before they can be registered but here they do it over the mail or the internet so all kinds of weak, overbred and genetically defective dogs end up being sold as good ones and being bred to produce more defective animals.

I also used to feed my dogs grapes and I am sure they ended up eating some chocolate and onions too but I no longer do it... I don't like to take risks with my animals.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:38 am

My first dog lived to be 16. We felt sorry for him when we had no leftovers to give him. He got meat, potatoes and veggies daily. Back then you were suppose to feed a dog just once a day. Looking back, he was hungry a lot. His favorite food was spaghetti and stood at the door waiting for it even if it was marinara.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:14 am

Puppy goes in to be fixed on the 13th. She also has to have baby teeth pulled (they didn’t come out when the adult teeth came in) and I’m going to have her chipped.

Still not so sure about spaying before her first heat, but it’s what they recommend now. For small dogs and female dogs they says it’s better. She’ll be 7 months.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 am

She most likely already went through her first heat, John, and you did not notice because the first one is very, very mild - especially in toy breeds. And yes, the toy breeds have all kinds of teeth problems - Nature never planned on having a teeny tiny miniature wolf making it to adulthood...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:53 am

I agree with fixing before first heat. Why let them get hormonal then take it away.

My son put cage wire on a screen door to keep the birds in and the others out without shutting the door on them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:52 am

Hmmm, I don't look at it that way, Liz -I mean the getting hormonal and then taking it away. I don't agree with juvenile or infant castration. I might be old-fashioned and/or wrong in my thinking but it seems to me that it's better to allow the body to reach such an important glandular milestone before eliminating it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Puppy was spayed yesterday and she’s so miserable today. She already got 2 stitches out so she has an Cone on now. She’s so upset. I feel so bad for putting her through this.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:36 am

Didn't they give you pain killers? They usually give you enough for three days in little syringes. All my dogs and cats are fixed and, in all honesty, I've never had one that had any problems... I mean, they tell you not to feed them the usual amount that night but mine would eat, drink and go out as if nothing had been done to them. The ONLY thing I do for the females is to make sure they don't jump up or down and I coddle them a bit more the first night but they are perfectly fine and I coddle them more for my own sake than what they ask for... She is, most likely, upset about the Ecollar [my dogs hate them, too] so take it out whenever you can watch her closely as that would make her happy. Don't worry about the stitches, they dissolve on their own and, besides, the incisions are so small that they would still close on their own, I think.

And don't feel bad! You did her a favor and the pain will go away real soon but, if she is really very down, call the clinic and ask them to give you a bit more pain killer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care