Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outside Time for some natural sunlight

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Outside Time for some natural sunlight

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:20 pm

That will be great for Gaugan! Let's hope she doesn't mind the new harness so much...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 pm

i have seen so many posts of peole who say that this harness is more comfortable I sure hope so.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:30 pm

I have harnesses although I have yet to get my birds to the point of accepting them. All of mine are the aviator harnesses because they are supposed to be the most comfortable, lightest weight and most secure of the harnesses available on the market.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Gaugan is so tame, I can touch her anywhere and she will allow me to put any harness on with no problem at all, but will she enjoy going out on my shoulder that way? Will it be comfortable enough? The right weather for her to be out is so much better here than in Victoria, and there are so many nice warm days. So if she likes this, she will be able to be out very often hanging out with me, and she will not have to be in a cage outside as much.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:06 pm

i wont neglect Sunny that opportunity, but in his case he is still gettting use to being outside, so once he feels safe in one area of my large yard, then it takes him time to feel safe in the next area, so for now he will have to come out in a cage, but it will give him an opportunity to see Gaugan in the harness if she decides she likes the experience and then he will likely want to do what she does.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:45 am

Sounds like a winning plan to me! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed May 04, 2016 3:47 pm

The harness came today, and it looks like a puzzle to me so far, so have a video to watch and try to figure out how it goes on.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri May 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Figured out how to put the harness on and perfect weather today for a nice walk with Gaugan in her harness.
Attachments
forum harness.jpg
forum harness.jpg (61.65 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat May 14, 2016 10:38 am

Looks good on her. Let me know how your adventure goes, please.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat May 14, 2016 5:15 pm

To start with i had to figure out how it would work, wish i had a litttle parrot model to practice on....lol.... then I only put a part over her neck, and praised her. I let her taste it and give it a couple chews to show her it would not hurt her. Then a few days later, i just put it on and she was great, I just kept sweet talking her. I have had her for almost 18 years so I can skip parts on some things because of our trust, but would not recommend going so fast with a rehomed parrot, or any parrot who is afraid of the harness. I didnt have to use treats, but normally you would have to. Sweet talk is Gaugans favorite thing, she gives you these melting looks, so I ususally sweet talk her through things, even vet visits, which she doesnt like but just patiently waits her way through.

She just loved it outside, every once in a while she would chew on the harness but birds kept flying by and checking her out so she chirped at them and started playing, by the time we were done she figured out how to walk all over me from shoulder to shoulder with the harness on, and also to jump behind me on the chair when i sat down. It was harder to take it off then it was to put it on for me, but thanfully Gaugan was patient. I probably wont work on her flying outside with it on, because she gets lots of flight in the house, so its for her to have outside time without having to be in a cage.

Sunny would see us walk by through the window and call to us. Gaugan called back at him and I said Hi Sunny.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care