Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Your opinion: the Aviator harness modified

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Your opinion: the Aviator harness modified

Postby xbcc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:05 am

Hi all,

I would like your opinion on the following. If you could choose to buy the Aviator bird harness as it is now VS a version (from another brand with good reviews) which has a retractable leash which you can attach to it for the same price. Something like a dog leash but customized so it is better suited for birds. Which one would you choose? The harness would be the same.

Looking forward to your input! :swaying:
xbcc
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Your opinion: the Aviator harness modified

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:28 am

Why?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby xbcc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:46 am

Because I want to research if people are interested in buying a modified version of it. I want to create it.
xbcc
Parakeet

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 am

You can't use a retractable dog leash on a bird. It will yank it so hard that it would drag on the floor.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:33 am

I think that I see where you are coming from, but could be wrong. There would probably be a market for a retractable leash that the strength would be downsized to work with birds. My concern is that if it would be strong enough to reel in a long leash that it would be too strong for many birds, especially for the smaller ones.

There have been a few enterprising DIYers that have used a braided fish line attached to a modified fishing rod and reel setup. The length of the rod from the reel to the first guide makes for a good perch once it is wrapped with vet wrap and it is easy to use as well as to take with you and it just attaches to the existing lead coming off of the harness. I do not know of any of these being on the market, but you would have to check that out to be certain.

Let me know if this is or is not the direction that you were headed with this and if this is helpful to you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby xbcc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 am

Wolf wrote:I think that I see where you are coming from, but could be wrong. There would probably be a market for a retractable leash that the strength would be downsized to work with birds. My concern is that if it would be strong enough to reel in a long leash that it would be too strong for many birds, especially for the smaller ones.

There have been a few enterprising DIYers that have used a braided fish line attached to a modified fishing rod and reel setup. The length of the rod from the reel to the first guide makes for a good perch once it is wrapped with vet wrap and it is easy to use as well as to take with you and it just attaches to the existing lead coming off of the harness. I do not know of any of these being on the market, but you would have to check that out to be certain.

Let me know if this is or is not the direction that you were headed with this and if this is helpful to you.

Thank you. I was actually headed for something like the retractable dog leash, but it seems that it would be hard to make one for a bird without it yanking the bird. People are also afraid (maybe rightfully) that the lash would get stuck on a tree for example.

The fishing rod you are talking about is very interesting. But I am afraid that the market for that is too small. I am trying to better the existing bird leashes and enough people wanting it. Maybe I will come up with something.
xbcc
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 am

Well you could possibly consider using a reel like is used on some of the longer tape measures, but I would be afraid that an automatic retractable outfit would be too strong for a bird. Any leash is subject to getting caught in a tree if the human is not paying enough attention. Most of the longer leashes that are available are not recommended for use in or too close to trees and bushes for just that reason.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14 am

You could make it like a retractable dog lead only use something else so that you have to reel it in but use a actual lead instead of the fishing line.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Can you imagine a small bird like a budgie or even a cockatiel trying to fly dragging 50 feet of flat woven webbing? I would think that it would weigh much more than the bird. Even 100 pound test braided fish line is stronger than the biggest bird can break and it is also much lighter tan any of the webbing on the market, which is why I suggested it for the line itself.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Wolf wrote:Can you imagine a small bird like a budgie or even a cockatiel trying to fly dragging 50 feet of flat woven webbing? I would think that it would weigh much more than the bird. Even 100 pound test braided fish line is stronger than the biggest bird can break and it is also much lighter tan any of the webbing on the market, which is why I suggested it for the line itself.

Im talking about using the bungee lead which is on the harness.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Next

Return to General Parrot Care