Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal attacking Grey

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Senegal attacking Grey

Postby kelly2772 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:14 am

We own 2 Greys and 2 Senegals. Recently our female Senegal started flying to the male grey's cage and this morning she got a hold of him and his foot and husband said she was biting his foot viciously. Very little blood thankfully but why this sudden change in the Sennie's behavior? Any thoughts? Senegal is my baby but we can't have this attacking going on. Thanks
kelly2772
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Male African Grey
Female African Grey
2 Senegals
Flight: No

Re: Senegal attacking Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat May 14, 2016 10:36 am

More information would be helpful in figuring out the behavior. How are the cages arranged in the room? What bird is bonded to what human? How long have they lived together in the same room? What happened if anything just before she went to his cage? Any other thing that might shed some light on this would be appreciated.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Sat May 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Not surprising for a Senegal. Lucky it's a grey cause someone's Senegal killed their conures like that.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 15, 2016 10:43 am

Yes, more info is needed for more specific advice (age of sennies, light schedule, diet, daily routine, type of light, etc) because, although we are in breeding season and senegals are notorious for their capacity for aggression, if they are content, not overly hormonal and have no reason to be jealous of the other birds, they usually keep to themselves after a period of adjustment.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun May 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes during breeding season, Senegals can be after any perceived "threat" and it will likely disappear when it is over. You can try to identify what the Senegal is bothered by, and that may help. I give my Red Belly female extra attention to prevent her agression during breeding season, and that helps a lot. Of course diets controlling protein can help, as can light scedules, but with some Pois, you get 6 weeks of diffferent behavior, and its good to have a handle on what yours is like, and find a way to head it off somewhat. I have been able to keep my Redbelly from getting agressive this season, and i got another parrot, 8 months ago, but she is wanting to chew every new thing she can get to when i am not looking, but its better than going after other parrots.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to General Parrot Care