Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does your parrot actually enjoy training?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Does your parrot actually enjoy training?

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:10 pm

I realized when I got my very first animal that from that point on it was all for their benefit. I got up and went to work to provide for them, I rented a place to live so they had shelter and a territory and stayed home to take them to the vet if they were sick. In short everything that I did was done with their wellbeing in mind.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:37 pm

That's the story of the Rickeybird, Wolf... I really resonate.

I didn't realize fully what I had gotten into, but, I knew I would give it my all. Living spaces, work schedules, family stuff, recreation... the first thought was always...

What about the Rickeybird?

Because, while other people or animals had multiple resources, I was his one and only.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Well, I love all my animals but, in my family and friends circle, everybody knows that the birds always come first. The reason for this is that their needs are more exact and demanding than the other animals and, of course, people... I mean, I can be a bit late for the dogs dinner but I can't be late for the birds' because, if I am, it gets too dark for them. And my dogs are with me all the time, when I sleep, when I take a shower, when I am on the computer, cleaing, etc while the cats merely allow me to share THEIR home - but the birds need out-of-cage as well as special one-on-one time at specific times during the day so I have to make sure that there is nothing that requires my attention at those times. They might not really like the idea of coming second to birds but they are all used to it by now and seldom complain any longer (like we say in Spanish: Les gane por cansancio - I won by tiring them out - :lol: )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Wolf wrote:I realized when I got my very first animal that from that point on it was all for their benefit. I got up and went to work to provide for them, I rented a place to live so they had shelter and a territory and stayed home to take them to the vet if they were sick. In short everything that I did was done with their wellbeing in mind.

That is so true, they are like taking care of children in many ways.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 pm

L
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

:lol: This argument was almost two years ago, my dear. It's really not healthy to keep on going back to old arguments...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 am

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 am

:lol: Take your time, my dear. No rush.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:45 pm

I believed in holistic care. Parrots are extremely intelligent and they're stripped of their natural habitat as captives. Morning trick training offered #1cognitive stimulation and accomplishment that comes over them when finally getting it. #2 daily bonding time with me #3 my own personal upkeep in maintaining so as not to get bored which happens too often with parrot care #4 mimicing lost nature therefore in the morning they're doing tricks for instead of foraging for food #5 flying daily morning laps also takes place the high activity in morning nature but also upkeeps them physically and acts as extra maintenance for their contained cage times. ((((Nutrition isn't everything though it's huge. I believe in holistic care. They've never been sick so far. Mental and physical health = less vet)))(
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care