Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello, I am new and need some advice.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Hello, I am new and need some advice.

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:39 pm

I already understand this parrot might not learn all I want to teach it, and I'm fine with that. As for training it, my mum has a lot of experience but not with this species. I rarely go out so I can spend a lot of time with it, too. Again, though, instead of just telling me why I can't, I've asked around 4 times now, what kind do you recommend if you don't think this is the right bird for me? It needs to be no bigger than a cockatiel since we don't know how the dog will react, we don't want it hurting our other pets when it can just fly away. Also I'm scared of big parrots like that Galah that bit me. And if you can't figure out one that takes teasing, well, just recommend me what you think fits the other requirements and I'll have to start trying things like putting jelly in my brothers pillow if he teases it.
InsanityShard
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:40 pm

When it comes to companionship, mum says I can't get more than one parrot to start with or else a small one like the princess parrot can't focus on me enough when I'm trying to teach it to learn more complex words.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:36 pm

You dont need to get another parrot, every parrot has its own personality and some talk and some dont, but every one of them has a unique personality and are great companions.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:56 pm

I don't even have one yet. The main thing I have been asking... If you don't think a Princess Parrot is for me (Which you seem to be saying, especially with all this talk of aviary and companion parrots) then what kind do you recommend?
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Pajarita was the person who suggested that a Princess parrot might not be the best parrot for you, so you will probably have to wait on her to answer the question of what parrot that she would recommend for you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:59 am

The problem is that you want a parrot the same size as a tiel and that would make it either some type of grass keet or some other species that is more aviary than companion (tiels are actually aviary although people keep them as companions). The only parrot that comes to mind is a small pyrrhura -maybe a GCC or a maroon belly? But they require A LOT of hours because they are so needy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:46 pm

Needy is fine for me, I've got more than a little bit of time on my hands. I only leave for 3 hours 3 times a week and that's it. Even then, if I get one that's fine being outside on a harness then it'll nearly never be away from me. =P
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby InsanityShard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Would it be possible for me to get a pyrrhura and a princess parrot but still be able to train them to talk? Again, mum says you can't train parrots to talk when they are with other parrots because they don't focus enough on you. At least, small ones don't.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 am

I don't agree with your mother but she could be talking just about aviary birds in which case, she would be correct. My parrots have other parrots and the three that talk the most (Mami, Sweetpea and Precie) actually live with their mates, sharing the same cage and everything. But not all parrots talk and it has little to do with whether they have other parrots or not, it has to do with their own personality. There are species that are more prone to learn than others and, within these species, one of the genders is usually the better talker. For example, in Amazons and quakers, it's the females that talk more, but, with the GCCs and Senegals, it's the males.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Maybe I will just get a princess parrot alone to begin with and get the one you recommended later- maybe it will learn a bit better by mimicking the other parrot rather than neither being able to focus and learn by me talking. I'll get the Princess first because maybe it'll be like cats or fighter fish- the new bird might not be so jealous if the other bird is there from the start. As to how that relates to fighter fish, putting a snail in the tank, it gets attacked, putting a fighter in a snails tank, it's less likely. Found that out the hard way. Still, when it comes to training them, I have no job since I can't figure out one I can do, and I understand it could take up to 3 years or longer to fully train the princess parrot, let alone a second one, which I would get after the Princess is settled and has started being trained, maybe after only 4 or 5 months. Do you think that could work?
Also, yes, she was talking strictly from her experience, and she has only worked with small birds like canaries and budgies. She was very very good with those, and I'll have her helping me the whole time. She already taught me the start of training a budgie to sit on my shoulder, where it's on the perch and you put your finger lightly under its toes and press up until it goes onto your finger. That was back when I had a Budgie.
InsanityShard
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care