Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bathing. And how often

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bathing. And how often

Postby Macukolala » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:56 am

I spray my amazons every morning after on covering them. But lala the female doesn't seem to like it a lot Is spraying them everyday good for them? :amazon:
Macukolala
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon and a orange winged amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Bathing. And how often

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:05 am

I would say that it depends on the humidity where you are at as they will require it more if the air is too dry for them. It also depends on the temperature of the water as if it is too warm it will strip away too many of the natural oils not only on their feathers but on their skin as well.

It can be difficult to tell if the bird is not liking the misting or if they are just enjoying it and are being playful in their exuberance at getting misted. The ones that I have including my Amazon will lift their wings and flap about in and out of the mist and sometimes they can also be very loud while enjoying this misting. I have a Senegal that when I attempt to mist her she screams and only concentrates her efforts in getting away from the water, but she loves taking a bath on her own in a shallow dish. My Grey likes being misted but only when she wants it, otherwise she only wants to get away from it, but then Grey's are not the best when it comes to getting wet. This may be partly due to their waterproofing their feathers with a powder from special powder down feathers. I still mist they ones that accept misting at least once a week.

I hope that this is helpful.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Bathing. And how often

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:24 am

There is no need to give them a bath every day -especially if they don't like it. I usually let them bathe on their own but still give them a spray bath once a week -with the exception of the grays which do NOT like been sprayed at all so I only do it about once a month or when they get the 'dirty parrot' smell :D

The picture on your avatar is not of one of your birds, right? Because it's not a bluefronted or an orangewinged - it's a DYH.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care